My trip to focus 2013

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
Made the quick dash up the m5/42 to the nec for focus on imaging today. I went last year and didn't really enjoy much of it http://www.realphotographersforum.c...5-focus-imaging-2012-my-take-show-report.html. This year I went with no plans in mind, just to have a look around at the things that caught my eye. I think that is the mistake I made last year, I wanted to have something to write about on here and tried to force some sort of show report ... well I'm not a journalist, and for good reason.

This year, I did enjoy it! We only stayed for about 4 hours and I only looked at the stuff I wanted to see ... whod a thunk of that as a good idea ;)

Anyway, here is what I saw ...

First of the Linhof & Studio stand

Pete had mentioned an interest in Alpa 12 FPS. I spotted it from a distance and made a beeline for it ...
This nice chap talked us through it.

Alpa gear by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

Basically its a shutter (fps stands for focal plane shutter), they can then sell you all manner of gear for fitting seemingly endless combinations of kit to the front and back. With the range of gear Pete has I can see why this would make an attractive prospect. Have a look here for more, there is little point in me going on about it as I only had a quick dem ...
http://www.alpa.ch/en/products/FPS/FPS_body/alpa_12_fps.html
One way or another, it was a lovely thing and the chap talking us though it was obviously very knowledgable and passionate about the gear ... A good start to the day!

Modules for fitting nikon and canon lenses

Phase one IQ 160 on the back

This little thing is about as small a insanely high quality camera as it comes ...
That same phase one back on an Alpa 12 tc - 60mp (or 80mp if you put the iq180) on a camera smaller than the average slr ... I want!!

Next to the Hasselblad stand (yeah I was in the mood for making my self want stuff - what of it? ;) )

The H5 was there, but it was this 500elm that caught my eye - not one of the ones that went to the moon, but one of the earthbound ones used for testing or training or somthing ... Still pretty cool!

Blad lunar by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

Of course it was sharing a cabinet with the sony nex7 based Hasselblad Lunar ... The chap seemed a little embarrassed talking about it. But after I said that I got that it was a luxury camera for the luxury market he seemed to relax. He mentioned more sony/blad cooperation in the forthcoming year ... I guess it will be nothing in my budget!
The main thing I got out of this visit was him telling me that I could hire a 50mp digital bak for my 500c/m for less than £100 for a weekend! I just need a free weekend and I think that is going to be on the cards ... I may even hire one for my holiday in Wales in the summer!!

Next to the Sigma stand which was probably highest on my list for two reasons - First the DP1 Merrill

Here with its siblings the DP2 and new DP3

Sigma stnad by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

The DP1

This camera feels a lot more serious than it looks! Metal body, much bigger than it looks in pictures! Handling was ok, the screen on the back was aweful, all flickery and crappy, the shutter button felt unresponsive and focus was slow.
Check this out though, a jpeg at 100iso - oh my that is some sorta detail

Sigma dp1 merrill 100iso by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

Would I buy one, no... Not even at the now very reasonable £750 odd ... No adobe support would sod my workflow, I cant be bothered with that! Was interesting to hear from the rep ... His words were that adobe dropped support after a nutty ceo put a £6k tag on the sd1 merrill ... since then Adobe havent seemed interested. A shame!
He also was very open about it not being for everyone ... even the 400iso noise would stop me shooting. check out the banding

Sigma dp1 merrill 400iso by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

... Still, for landscape stuff where weight is a consideration and 100iso shooting is always possible ... I doubt there is anything that could even get close!

Second reason I was there was to see the new 35mm 1.4

Unfortunately after I managed to get my hands on it via one of the reps another came and snatched it from under my nose - I was actually a little put out, he was pretty bloody rude to me. Obviously the other person looking at it was more important than me seeing it??
Anyway, aside from the rude rep... what a bit of kit!
This is not what you expect from sigma, it weighed a good bit, felt solid as a rock, the focus was a lot smoother than any of my nikon lenes... In fact in general it put my nikon kit to shame! And for about half the price of the nikon equiv (and reputedly better) its on the list!

Spotted this on the calumet stand - a cambo based video rig

Cambo at calumet by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

Very nice too, the rubber wheel on the follow focus that interacts with the focus ring on the lens seemed a very elegant solution to the problem! Quality was lovely too!

The loupe on this set up was also very nice and I could definitely see the quality of the glass in it! Not cheap though!

The x2-pro was also pretty impressive, and actually sounded pretty inexpensive as far as solutions to lots of movement on an slr goes ... But then I didnt ask what the lens would cost though :/

Fuji stand next - All I really wanted to know was if they had eventually made the x100 into the camera it could have been in the form of the x100s ... It seems yes!
The focus was incredible by comparison to the x100! Very fast, and got it right a lot more times than the x100 did!
The biggest improvement I noticed though was the close focus. It didnt need to be put into its macro mode until a lot closer than the x100. Very impressed! If they made one with a native 28mm 1.8 lens I might be tempted back to the fold :) (unless ricoh do it first of course)

fuji stand by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

fuji stand by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

Zeiss lenses. Ive never touched a new one, had a go with a 35mm 2.8 on an leica m8 ... mmm, positive experience!

Zeiss lenses by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

3 Legged thing are obviously doing very well! the stand was twice as big as last year and very busy! Id love a Brian, still cant justify one though!

3 legged thing by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

I then went to the a stand that had a lot of Hoodman gear on it. Not sure what it was, but the american chap showing of the Hoodman stuff seemed to be a rep of theres of some sort. I want a loupe, i've wanted one for a while... The aforementioned cambo was awesome but way to much cash for me. Hoodman are known to be the lower end of the scale I think, but they actually seemed pretty good!
They have got coming out quite soon this mounting braket which was a lot better than the one that attaches to the hot shoe.
The only thing, once you look through a combo, the glass in the hoodman seems crappy!

Hoodman by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

Last but no means least, Harman Ilford. Just like last year this was the best experience (although Linhof came close this year). Mel, who we spoke to last year remembered me and Greg and asked how the forum was going ... which was nice!
He then went on to show us the new "Obscura" - a new pinhole camera. At £60ish (i think he said) its a bit cheaper than the titan (£165), and a bit more basic, but very cool! He was telling me they have plans for a white lid that will allow it to be used to produce contact prints and there is even passing talk of it being able to take the chemicals so the film can be processed inside the camera! "Cooool!" was pretty much my response :)

Harman Ilford stand by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

They also now have the Titan 10x8 for sale which was just in prototype form last year. You can see it here with the 5x4 version.

Harman Ilford stand by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

So, the big question, what did I buy? Well, a 5x4 titan of course! ... oh and 11 rolls of xp2! :)
Good day out, less stress than last year! Happy!
Canon stand, no chance, Nikon stand ... nothing I wanted to see ... I stood in the middle of it for a second, turned and walked back out again. Would have been half interested to have had a look a the D7100 but couldn't be arsed with the crowds! By 2.30 I was fed up! Home by 3.30 so took the dogs for a walk up the park in the sunshine... Bonus end to the day!
Sorry I didn't see anyone there ... Who else went? Anyone see anything I didnt?

Last edited:
All photos taken with the Sony RX100 by the way ... I havent used as much as this for ages ... I forgot how much I love the thing!

Great stuff Hamish, thanks for the post, have decided not to go this year, but still interested in the show and this snap shot together with some great shots brings it home to me, thanks for that :)

What a brilliant thread.
Sorry I couldn't make it guys, my company had just made a huge announcement along the lines of.... it's gone **** up. being the consultant representative for the company, it was my duty to be available for the questions that our employees had. Unexpected to all this was.
On that note, I'm not here to ***** about my place of work. It sounded like you had fun!
Was it just the 2 of you?

Looks like you had a good day Hamish

did indeed

Great stuff Hamish, thanks for the post, have decided not to go this year, but still interested in the show and this snap shot together with some great shots brings it home to me, thanks for that :)

Cheers Kev, no probs :)

What a brilliant thread.
Sorry I couldn't make it guys, my company had just made a huge announcement along the lines of.... it's gone **** up. being the consultant representative for the company, it was my duty to be available for the questions that our employees had. Unexpected to all this was.
On that note, I'm not here to ***** about my place of work. It sounded like you had fun!
Was it just the 2 of you?

That sucks Dan!
Yeah, just me and Greg ... and about 5 million camera spoffs ;)

Nicely done Hamish - looked like a good show

Told you that X100s was a winner ;)

I went yesterday - and yes the X100s is veeeeeery nice!

Licked a Nikon 600mm F4 and left a noseprint on the D800 :)

My mate cheking out (before buying) the X-E1

8529269806_ba2149eb79_o.jpg

A cheeky snap with the X100

8529269668_5fc82ffb3c_o.jpg

What an excellent Write-up Hamish and I'm glad you had a good day there. And thanks for checking out the Alpa - I can feel a trip to Essex coming on!

Also looking forward to seeing some shots with the Titan! I was looking at their direct positive paper the other day. My friend from Stockholm visited us in Potsdam at the weekend and was playing withe DIY Cam (he shoots 10x8). He reckons I should build a 20x24" version and use it to take one-off images using direct positive paper - it had crossed my mind and I do have a lens that would cover it, so...

Ooo many shiny things lol :) wish I had a spare 6k+ for the Alpa system, I also like the fact that with some of those tripod rigs its a case of equipment with added camera rather than camera with added equipment! That Titan 10x8 is a bit of a beast as well :D shame about the fairly high cost to be able to shoot that sort of size negative.

Back