NCD: Mamiya Six (not 6, sadly)

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
A poor-man's Mamiya 6 is a Mamiya Six. I think this spelling convention is a modern internet thing, as mine definitely has a number 6.

Anyway, it's a near-mint-condition medium-format folding camera, with an Olympus D. Zuiko 75mm 3.5 lens, complete with case, various paperwork, and something I've never seen before, the "Pleasant Auto-Up" for close focussing.

It arrived today. Hence, NCD is the subject heading refers to New Camera Day. I haven't had time to put film through it. But isn't she lovely?!

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600d.jpg s-l1600e.jpg s-l1600a.jpg s-l1600b.jpg s-l1600f.jpg s-l1600h.jpg s-l1600g.jpg s-l1600i.jpg s-l1600j.jpg

@Pete Askew - I'm getting dangerously attracted to the new Leica Q2. I love fixed-lens cameras, and the Q and Q2 lens is one of the best there is. But at £4,250, it will have to remain a dream, until, that is, you sell me yours in ten years time for £1,000. So hurry up and buy one!

Okay, here are some from the first roll, using Cinestill 50D - probably the last time I'll use it, as it is both expensive and not 100% to my liking. It's okay, but for colour I prefer Portra.

First of all, I found the viewfinder took a bit of getting used to. My left eye is much better than the right for focussing (despite the right eye having had a Zeiss lens installed!!) and when I use my left eye, my big nose gets in the way of the camera! Anyway, I wrestled with it a bit, and genuinely thought this house was centred...clearly not!

Hi House.jpg

Here is a Spanish guitar from circa 1870, currently being used to record an album of 19th-century Spanish music...the cinestill is barely look warm, but I quite like it here:

Garcia Guitar.jpg

I think this red bucket would rather I had used Velvia, to bring out its vibrant tone. Not my most interesting shot ever! I was just shooting anything, while testing the camera (that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it).

red bucket.jpg

I was using the "Light Meter" app (how did they come up with that name?!) which seems pretty good - all the shots came out with reasonable exposure - I've only de-dusted the images a little. The sun was shining brightly on this fence, so I thought it would be a test for the app, the film, and the camera. I see a slight pink hue to it, which I could take out in Lightroom, but not bad:

White fence.jpg

And finally, using the "Pleasant Auto-Up" close-lens attachment, some out of focus flowers...not a great success, and I used a tripod.

flowers.jpg

Overall, I'm pleased with the camera, and also the app. Less pleased with the film. I'll be heading back to Ilford and Kodak for a while.

What do you think?

Calm down, lads. They're bottles for olive oil, balsamic vinegar, etc, maybe a small bottom of wine. I don't drink, Susan rarely.

No, I forget because I forget. Sorry, Steve, it's going nowhere.

Back