Need Fuji advice

Steve Boykin

I have an offer from a buyer for my X Pro + lenses. I think it's too low but I am a terrible judge of this type of thing. I know I would get more if I sold it piece by piece but that would involve a lot trips to the Post Office. Where I live the PO is only open Mon-Fri from 8:30 to 4:30 so it's really a PIA.

For anyone who uses the camera what do you think would be a fair price for an X Pro + all current lenses + grip thing. I don't want to say what I was offered because I would like an honest non biased opinion and you would probably laugh at me. The lenses have always had B+W protective multi coated filters on the front of them. The camera obviously has been used a good bit but there are no issues with it. It has a bit of what I think they called brassing (?) around the edges and on the top.

I have decided to just keep one camera the X20. I was debating between that and the X100 but I think the X20 is less complicated and I really need less complicated. What I really need is a digital K1000 but I doubt anyone is going to make one of those. I am going to start over with this photography thing and try and learn it. But I need to start simple. One thing I have learned for sure, having a great camera doesn't help make you a better photographer. [doh]

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would guess that Chris is your man here Steve. My only advice would be to stick with the X-Pro as I would it expect it to give you the best 'learning' experience. Maybe keep the X20 for your pocket / dashboard and sell the X100 and the D700 etc.

I would guess that Chris is your man here Steve. My only advice would be to stick with the X-Pro as I would it expect it to give you the best 'learning' experience. Maybe keep the X20 for your pocket / dashboard and sell the X100 and the D700 etc.

I'd agree with the XP as the best learning / growing choice.

Stick a single lens on it, work it like crazy and grow from there.

That makes a lot of sense to me as well Steve. I take about 75% of my photos using a 35mm lens on my M9. Try a similar approach with your X-Pro and just put the other lenses in a bag for a few months. Staying with a fixed focal length (the one you use for your urban work for example) would really help with transferring what you see / imagine into images.

I have an offer from a buyer for my X Pro + lenses. I think it's too low but I am a terrible judge of this type of thing. I know I would get more if I sold it piece by piece but that would involve a lot trips to the Post Office. Where I live the PO is only open Mon-Fri from 8:30 to 4:30 so it's really a PIA.

For anyone who uses the camera what do you think would be a fair price for an X Pro + all current lenses + grip thing. I don't want to say what I was offered because I would like an honest non biased opinion and you would probably laugh at me. The lenses have always had B+W protective multi coated filters on the front of them. The camera obviously has been used a good bit but there are no issues with it. It has a bit of what I think they called brassing (?) around the edges and on the top.

There does not seem to be enough cameras and lenses in the used market, to get an accurate reading. Neither KEH, Adorama nor B&H have much—or any. EBay has some listings of a similar bundle, but they appear to be new and the "Buy Now" prices are all over the place. The lower prices may well be the bait in a bait and switch operation. The few products listed are show that like most top quality equipment, lenses tend to hold their value, while bodies depreciate the moment they are sold. The few Fuji bodies I found seem to command pretty good prices. In the end, the price of anything is the intersection of what the buyer will pay and the seller will accept.

I have decided to just keep one camera the X20. I was debating between that and the X100 but I think the X20 is less complicated and I really need less complicated. What I really need is a digital K1000 but I doubt anyone is going to make one of those. I am going to start over with this photography thing and try and learn it. But I need to start simple. One thing I have learned for sure, having a great camera doesn't help make you a better photographer. [doh]

A critical understanding that many miss. If a camera is described as "Pro", that is a warning—not hype. Entry-level and consumer-level cameras are designed for photographers on that level. They have help-screens, scene modes, are loaded with automation to make them easy to learn and use.

When a pro-level camera is designed, the designer assumes that the person using it will be fluent in both camera operation and photography. Manuals describe features with minimal text, assuming that the photographer will learn through practice, drawing upon experience. If one is a working photographer, substantial time is spent between shoots, both learning equipment and improving skills. It is part of the job.

Yet a lot of beginners dream of a top-of-the-line system, thinking it would be a short-cut to being a top-of-the-line photographer. Consumer-level cameras are easier to learn, far more helpful and money much better spent. A pro-level camera is rich in features which can be confusing, and they do exactly what the photographer tells them to do—nothing more, nothing less. Of course, the photographer must have the knowledge and experience to command the camera to get the most out of it.

Steve - EBAy had the following sale recently

Fujifilm x Series x Pro1 w 18mm F 2 0 and 35mm F 1 4 and More 074101013702 | eBay

X-Pro plus two lenses and flash $1750

Sounds about right - Body should be $800 used, and lenses $500 each used but in good condition. You might rate the camera at $750 with the brassing.

Grip should get 2/3 of it's value I'd guess.

Having said that - a bird in the hand etc etc

Back