New Guitar Video

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
Not a new guitar, but a new video. The guitar is a classical, by Ricardo Sanchis, from 1988. The music is perhaps a bit odd to some ears. It is written with the 12-Tone technique. Each note of a scale is given a number. A sequence of numbers is then chosen, say you date of birth for example, and each note is played in the order it appears in your date of birth. Generally you need a sequence of twelve numbers - hence the "12-Tone' technique.

There's a LOT more to it than that, of course. As a system of composition, it has been derided over the years and is rarely used these days. But I quite like some of the music it produced, including this short - two minute - guitar solo:

Good call - there are MANY films where the composer uses this technique. The oriental aspect is good too - the silences, with seemingly random notes breaking the silence. I like it. Couldn't do it all the time, but enjoy it when I do.

Interesting although I am not sure I would call it tuneful. I did find however, that the notes didn't necessarily sound discordant if I waited a longer time than I am used to. What I mean by that is that each bar seemed to be dragged out for longer than I am accustomed to. Does that make sense? I tried to type what I meant a few times and that was the best I could explain it.

Now, Paul, it is interesting you used the word "tuneful", as that is what we expect from two minutes of music. But why do we? People expect photographs to be "of something", something they can recognise. Yet we know that photographers can be attracted merely by light, and whatever else is in the image is purely coincidental. And then there is abstract art/photography...just lines, colour, "nothing really"...one might even say "not tuneful". What would the musical equivalent be?

As for the length of time of dissonant chords - that makes sense too, and it is a good observation. Dissonance is most noticeable when it is a surprise - the brain didn't expect it, and hasn't had time to understand it or prepare for it. But when strung out over a longer period, the ear adjusts itself to the uniqueness of the sound, and finds a way of accepting its quality. Likewise the eye when suddenly we walk from the 18th-century Landscapes Room into the Jackson Pollock Room...after twenty minutes with Pollock we might find the previous room quite lacking in a particular energy.

Or something like that :)

In fact, I'm annoyed at myself in this performance - it is too fast! Really, it is 20 seconds faster than the duration recommended by the composer...

In fact, I'm annoyed at myself in this performance - it is too fast! Really, it is 20 seconds faster than the duration recommended by the composer...
This goes with the "dark-side" tones of rpf lately Rob. ;)
btw...I was waiting for DrSWMBO at a coffee shop while she was getting the greys removed...(don't tell her I said that). I cruised through a bunch of your online work. I really enjoyed it.

Well I enjoyed it. I did start the video on thoughts of how long will this be, wondering if i'd see it through, yet it finished sooner than I'd have liked, must be a good sign. Nice one Rob.

Back