New year resolutions - how did you do?

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
As we moved into 2011, I found this great list of Photographers New Year Resolutions.

So here we are, almost at 2012 - how did you do?

Will you be focusing on any of these for 2012?

Turn off Auto: Try venturing out of your safety zone and experimenting with your camera's manual settings. Start small by turning the exposure compensation up or down for a moody or blown-out effect.

Edit your images: The problem with giant memory cards is that you can end up with too many images. After each shoot or adventure, take time to sort thorough your photographs and mark your favorites. The star systems in Bridge, Lightroom, and Aperture are great for this task.

Back-up your images.

Work the subject: Don't just take one picture, move around and shoot every angle and perspective you can think of.

Fill the frame with your subject.

Pay attention to your camera position and associated focal length. These dramatically change the sense of space and proportions in your scene.

Learn to always note shutter speed, and to take action to prevent camera shake when shutter speed is too low.

Bend your knees—don't shoot every image from eye level.

Stop thinking that a new piece of gear is going to make you a better photographer.

Commit to practicing. It's the only thing that will make you a better photographer.

Study the work of other photographers.

Choose a long-term photo project.

Remember that you don't have to go somewhere exotic to take good pictures. Your own life makes great subject matter.

Don't use a regular flash outside at night. Instead, use your camera's slow sync flash feature.

Learn to use your camera's flash exposure compensation for better flash results wherever you are.

Try packing only an unfamiliar and limited lens and shoot with it all day. A 50mm or macro lens, for example.

Narrow your comfort zone. For example, if you're comfortable street shooting with a telephoto, use wide angle and get in the face of strangers.

Shoot (literally) from the hip.

Shoot as if there was no Photoshop.

Switch your camera to black and white mode.

Load your camera with the most limited memory card you can find. Recall what it's like to shoot with only 12 exposures, knowing every shot counts.

Resist using a flash in low light.

Break the habit of leaving the moment to examine every shot you take on the LCD screen.

Share your shots: Don't keep all those great new photos to yourself. Post them on Flickr, Picasa, MobileMe, Smugmug, or any other sharing site. Join a photography group and get feedback.

I feel pretty good about the list in review - I do need to back up my images though :(

Shooting film helped me with a few of the resolutions - no LCD to look at, limited number of frames, shoot like there's no Photoshop, switch your camera to black and white...

I did a long-term project on the Pacific Surfliner, which taught me a lot, and got me branded as a 'train spotter'.

I've done a few days out with one lens - especially since buying the 50mm 1.2 - it's a great mental challenge, but well worth it.

I've shot from the hip with the grand-kids - that has produced some wonderful surprises, and a bunch of half in, half out frames which no one will ever get to see! ;)

I've also filled the frame and got down low when shooting the kids - and this has been very well received, with some of their parents favorite images being these shots :)

I've been getting better with the focal length/field of view stuff, and checking shutter speed before shooting - but as my math teacher used to say 'Dodkin can do better' :D

Studying other photographers work, and sharing your images... well that's RPF right there - easy one :)

Oh, and I still think that a new piece of gear will make me a better photographer - that's not going to change any time soon! :D :D :D

Not having seen this list before, I'm not doing too badly but some of them are definitley going on the list for 2012...

Use the camera on Manual - I don't use full auto, usually Aperture Priority, but considering I used to use a fully manual OM1...

Long term project - I have a few ideas, several sparked off by people on here...(Thanks all)

Sharing work - yep, must do more of this...

I've also taken more pictures in 2011 than have for a long time and I have set myself a target of at least matching that in 2012.

All of which I hope should be achievable with the added encouargement and feedback from people on this forum to make it even more fun.

Cheers, and all the best for 2012...:)

Back