Nikon Nikkor 28-300mm F3.5/5.6 AF-S G ED VR or the Nikon Nikkor 24-70mm F2.8 AF-S G E

Dave Cawley

Media Photographer
So, the Nikon Nikkor 28-300mm F3.5/5.6 AF-S G ED VR or the Nikon Nikkor 24-70mm F2.8 AF-S G ED ?

Having just smashed the 2.8 I now have a choice.

Usage is media/reporting where the fast is the key, 0.1S to get the shot. Thoughts guys ?

If you have an old Nikon with unbearable noise at any now common ISO setting, the f/2.8 is useful. If you are one of those who use the non-word "bokeh" in every sentence, you probably want the faster lens—or f/1.4 primes. If you only view photography at 100+% on large monitors, then the 24-70mm probably ignites your jollies more than the superzoom. If you have a lot of money that needs to be spent, and you sneer at anything without a gold-ring, then the 24-70mm is your only choice.

If you are a pragmatic photographer, who shoots for publication, print, or the web with a D3/D700 or better, the 28-300mm is a dream come true. For traveling and working out of a vehicle, I have the 14-24mm and the 28-300mm. I am ready for whatever is around the next bend. I have no problem shooting at f/5.6-f/8.0 for sharpness. My D700 does fine at higher ISO settings. You get a zoom with a 1:10× ratio and it weighs 100g less than the 1:3× ratio of the gold-ring. I have never met a magazine editor or high-rolling client who would reject an image from it. In absolute terms, a gear-head will rant you into the ground comparing the two, but to a working photographer, it simply gets the job done just fine.

Hi Larry

As I mentioned, it's a D700 and my work is Usage is media/reporting where the fast is the key, 0.1S to get the shot

Dave

Yes, I wrote my answer in general terms to the forum, but I think you would get my drift. An excellent working tool, highly versatile, delivers the goods. Rich camera-clubbers might hiss at you because it does not have a gold ring. Working shooters, know it is an extremely useful lens.

OK, thanks. Is the AF very fast, as fast as the 2.8 ?

Dave

No idea. When I am shooting, I am much to involved in getting the photo to notice focus speed. Coming from film and manual cameras, it is just part of nature to anticipate and have the focus nailed before the moment happens. If you see the moment before you focus, not matter how fast the lens and camera may be, you missed it. Assuming you have the skills, focus speed is not an issue.

I suggest you either play with it in a store, or even better—rent it for a weekend. With a zoom range more like a P&S, it does take a bit of getting used to.

OK, I was hoping someone would know, maybe there is ?

Thanks for your input

Regards

Dave

I spent more than a decade and a half shooting sports with purely manual hardware for a living, so everything seems quick in comparison. For kicks, I shot hockey last winter with my X-Pro1 and 60mm f/2.8 Macro with excellent results. Folks on the Fuji forums declared it was impossible. It was—for them. Seemed ideal for me.

Hockey With the Fujifilm X-Pro1

Yes, but when you have a person to person presentation, there is only 100mS and no repeat event!

I'm off to get a replacement 2.8 after lunch.

Dave

Back