F/S Nikon Af-s 24-85mm F3.5-4.5 G Ed Vr

Shane Johns

Nikon AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 G ED VR - SOLD!

This is a very good lens for a full frame Nikon like the D600 / D610, D800, D700 etc but also for APS-C cropped sensor models like the D7000 / D7100, D5000 series and also the older models like D90, D300, etc.

For full frame models it acts as a great travel or everyday lens, and is bitingly sharp in the centre. Here's Ken Rockwell's view on the lens: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/2485afs.htm

It's F3.5 to F4.5, which when combined with Nikon's second generation vibration reduction VRII, means that you can handhold shots at very slow shutter speeds without having to increase the ISO, thus reducing the amount of noise. This is great for low light photography.

If you don't want to lug your D800 or full frame with the 24-70 all day then this is a lighter and much more portable option. It's in excellent condition, and has hardly been used by me. It comes with a B&W UV filter fitted.

I'd like £240 for this lens, which includes RMSD - now SOLD

Here are some pics of the actual lens:

Last edited:
Oops! That's what you get for doing it on an empty stomach :D

For DX? Well, it'll probably be sharper because for full frame it is VERY sharp in the centre region, so not having to worry about the borders it'll still be very sharp on a cropped sensor camera like your D7000.

However, personally, I wouldn't get it to replace your 18-105. Your lens has a better wide end and a perfectly good zoom range as well. I think the 24-85 would probably suit someone with a full frame camera better, because of the focal range, size, weight and price.

I totally agree with Shane last post DD 18-105 would better suit your camera. Aint it great that we have good honest members on here like shane :)

Absolutely!! I hope he does get a sale of of this. Much deserved.

Thanks Darren / Dan - the lens is now on hold pending funds.

Dan - when I used my D90 I had the Nikkor 16-85mm VRII on it and I absolutely loved this lens. Sigma have also brought out the 18-35 F1.8 which is supposed to be fantastic. These are two options you could consider if you were thinking of upgrading from your 18-105. Another lens you could think about is the 70-300 VRII. You can get a used one now for really good money and it would extend your zoom range. It's also a very good lens (it's actually a full frame zoom but works great with DX cameras).

Cheers Shane.

I pretty much have the lenses I 'need' for the time being. I used to be set on having a 70-300 (in which I owned back in my Olympus days) but then slowly kept into and enjoyed the 'world of wide'. My fisheye I loved, now I have the Sigma 10-20mm which is a little monster for my dark world. My 35mm 1.8 is brilliant my kids and portraiture.... And I use the 18-105 for wedding last and events. I'm happy with the range with it. It suits me just fine... If I need to get closer.... I'm not shy doing that. :)
But that Sigma 18-35 1.8 is right up my street..... The reviews look brilliant.
Can't wait to try one out :)

Back