Notes From The Top Left Corner

Thanks Pete.
That wasn't the coffee shop, but I do think they are beginning to notice! I'm probably going to start another blog thread to keep track of the ever-changing window. In fact, I caught the cleaner in action / inaction yesterday morning, but the film had just run out, so missed him!

Ha! No, 'fraid not.
Funnily enough though, I unearthed a roll of film in our spare bedroom last night, which I recall nothing about. It will be fun to see what it reveals - it could have been used anytime in the last eleven years.

Funny story:
When I was doing my final exams at college, I had my car stolen by some lads who had escaped from a remand centre. They left the car in a ditch just a few hundred yards down the road from the house, walked a bit further to the neighbouring farm and stole a car from there. The police took my car and dusted it, and everything in it, for fingerprints. Roll on about 16 years, and my daughter was getting interested in having a camera. I remembered that there was an old one of mine that I'd forgotten about and gave her that to try using. There were a few frames left on the roll of film in it and some weird white stains on various places on the body that we struggled to clean off.
Emily took her first few shots after receiving a short lesson on how it worked and we put a new film in the camera. She was desperate to see her first photos so we had the film developed. There were a few great shots of the end of my college days, showing long forgotten fragments of time and people I hadn't seen in years. Then there were five or six out of focus flash shots of some rough looking blokes who I didn't recognise. "That's odd" I thought until my wife realised that we were looking right into the eyes of the little sods who'd pinched my car all those years ago.
The car, a hand painted (with a brush!!! - before I bought it) bile green Triumph Toledo with a flourescent pink stripe on the bonnet - was dumped when they realised that it was just a little distinctive to be used as a getaway car from a jailbreak! While they were in it, they went through my stuff and found the camera in the glove box and had fun blinding each other with the flash before they went off to look for a more mundane looking set of wheels.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the mystery roll of film that I found in the spare bedroom the other day was much older than I had imagined - it contains photos that my wife took with her beautiful old Pentax MX on a trip to southern Arizona that we did back in 1999 (I think).

Yes, I will pick out a couple tonight or tomorrow and post them here. They were a bit of a victim of the savage sun and not low enough maximum shutter speed though.

After some thought and discussion, we've come to the now firm conclusion that the mystery roll was taken by our daughter. Emily, on an Arizona trip in November 2004 (we like the desert!).

I've tarted up the images and they've come out well considering how bleached out they looked at first. Excuse Max Spielmann's dodgy scanning.

Cave dwelling, Tonto National Monument

Proper Cactus.JPG

Caves long view.JPG

Tree view.JPG

The Devil's Cactus.JPG

Caves middle view.JPG

Last edited:
Emily was 13 at the time. She went on to get an A-Level in photography (among others), a BA (Hons) in Fine Art and now runs an art therapy practice.

Last edited:
Driving to a late afternoon site meeting at work, I was confronted with a fabulous sight. Screeching to a stop in a convenient lay-by, I cursed at the thought that I had no camera with me.
I hate phones, but what else could I use?

Beams from Beacon.jpg

When I got home, I hung my jacket up and investigated a strange bulk and weight in the side pocket.

The office camera.
Doh!

Back