Notes From The Top Left Corner

The Konica is suffering from making multiple exposures with some rolls of film. There is no 'official' multiple exposure setting on the camera, but it's done it with two rolls now - the first just with a couple of frames and the second with about a third of the roll. It's also scratching the film and I suppose these two things are related to each other.

Konica Double.jpg
Konica Double

It's happened with rolls that I have bulk loaded, so could it be due to something I've done there, I wonder. The trouble is, I am loathed to waste too much more film on it and my understanding of camera mechanics is insufficient to identify the cause if it lies with the Konica. The frame below seems to be a triple exposure.

Konica Hat Trick.jpg
Konica Hat Trick

My technical knowledge is not up to much either.
Strangely, you have got something with that triple exposure. The road sign points at the figure on the left but the lines and other figures drtaws the eyes to the right. Add in those weird clashing perspectives and it is an intersting image.

I chose a couple of interesting ones on purpose Dave. There's another intriguing one that I nearly selected. I will try to remember to hook it out and post it tomorrow.

Blimey I've got some catching up to do. Love the girder bridge portrait.

I read the text after looking at the multi-exposure images and, you know what, I'd keep it that way and let serendipity (or Ms Sarah as we like to call her) have her way! They are just fabulous. The first doesn't seem a double at first and works so well and the second is a documentary in a single shot (shame it's not a U-Turn sign though!).

You just watch, I'll give it a go and the camera will perform flawlessly.

I did say flawlessly, didn't I?
Well, here are a few of the 37 frames of flawlessness which ensued!

Bowland Beech
Bowland Beech.JPG

King of Trainers
This man didn't fall, he was performing a series of push-ups.
King of Trainers.JPG

Rummage
Rummage.JPG

Short Phil
Short Phil.JPG

This was a roll of XP2, which I developed in Caffenol and not a double exposure in sight. I am now wondering whether the problem was somehow related to the fact that previous rolls had been bulk loaded. That's why I tried a factory fresh roll in this test. The XP2 was all I had to hand that I could develop at home. Bulk rolling technique is now honed to perfection, I think, so I shall try again with the Russian Roulette Autoreflex.

A new camera landed here today.
We felt as though it was time to have a TLR to play with, so we got one for ourselves.

Autocord #1.JPG

Autocord #4.JPG

A Minolta Autocord.
This one was made in 1960 and was advertised as serviced and fully working. The price was reasonable, so we snapped it up. It has a respectable amount of patina for a 60 year old device but we rushed a roll of HP5 through it this evening and after dunking it in some Rodinal for 6 minutes, it seems that the description was accurate. There were good results at all the shutter speeds I tried (and I tried going down to 1/2 a second).

All good then!

I like the Minolta because of the wonderful focusing mechanism that allows you to make the adjustment with both hands in the taking position. All the other TLRs (as far as I can see) require you to focus by turning a knob on the side and then you have to move your left hand down to support the camera from below as you fire the shutter with the right hand.

The adjuster on the Autocord is a slider with an arc of travel close to the base of the camera. Start with it set to minimum focus and support it from below. Curl your left index fingertip in front of it and it lands on the knob of the adjuster. Extend it and you push the focus out through the arc. At bottom centre, you are at 6 feet. With your finger fully extended, you are pointing at infinity. Genius!
Unfortunately, the implementation wasn't quite as good as the design concept, apparently. The adjuster needs molly-coddling because the slider that the knob is attached to is made of monkey metal and breaks rather easily.
Mental note - set focus to minimum after every shot because that's where it is most protected.

Autocord #3.JPG

I also love the detail of the crank handle knob that folds flat for storage, with a rather natty depth of field calculator built around its axis.

Autocord #2.JPG

Last edited:
We most certainly don't!

I do like a TLR. The first one I had was a dodgy Halina. Actually I still have it and it is lurking on a shelf in the workshop gathering dust (real dust mind, none of that namby-pamby household dust!). I'm not tempted to get it down though as it was absolute crap! The next one I bought was a Mamiya C3 which a forum member has at the moment still (I haven't forgotten, but a pandemic got in the way of getting it back!). That is a great camera, but a bit of a monster and has interchangeable lenses. I also have a couple of Roleiflexes (which are just gorgeous) and a Haynes DIY TLR (I think I might have a Yashicaflex knocking around somewhere as well).

http://www.realphotographersforum.com/forum/threads/rolleiflex-2-8-fx.13800/#post-104884

http://www.realphotographersforum.com/forum/threads/haynes-classic-camera.21534/ - never did run film through and it is sitting on a shelf in the study - I would say, "acting as a paperweight", but it is way too light for that!

I do like the look of that focus slider. Very clever. I never had a problem the the use of a side focus knob and I just cradle the camera in my right hand and trip the shutter with my right thumb when holding by hand.

Back