Notes From The Top Left Corner

Thanks Pete.
Umbrella lady came out exactly as I had envisioned her, so I am very pleased that the camera delivered more than I feared it might in that dark spot.
I struggled with focus a bit, as you are given just a few settings and with no way of telling if you are right until the film is developed. I did enjoy myself though, it's great to try out different kit, given the opportunity.
Outside toilets!

Well, the internet is awash with information about Cafennol. A lot of it's extremely useful and it's what I used to get going, producing some great looking negatives.
But...
There are thousands and thousands of websites that state quite categorically that you shouldn't do it with real coffee. It either just plain does not work or the results are extremely bad. You should only use instant coffee and the quality of results is inversely proportionate to the quality of the coffee.

If you dig a little deeper, you will find that a small number of people dispute this. Their thesis is that, yes, you can use real coffee, but you shouldn't use arabica beans and only robusta beans will work.

I decided that this couldn't be the case and that I would prove it for myself.
After one pretty good trial on a roll of Fomapan 200 and 90 grammes of arabica beans, I came up with some pretty good results as in a previous post and copied here. The beans were the cheapest arabica beans I could find because I didn't want to spend too much money on a lot of experiments.

Baristanol First image.JPG

So my next step was to set about the process of seeing how sensitive the recipe was to changes in the concentration of coffee in the developing mixture. The idea being that, if I changed my choice of bean (which I intend to do, for a forthcoming project) or if the actual beans of choice prove to vary in consistency, I would have an idea of what sort of degree of change would be required to the concentration to ensure a consistent quality of images.

I set about this by shooting a whole roll of the same scene from a tripod and cut short sections from it to enable me to develop just a few frames at a time. I, first of all used the same concentration as my original trial and then varied that in four increments of 25%.

Trial negatives.JPG

The differences between the various concentrations were actually really quite small, so I decided to stick with my original recipe.
Now it was time to try it with some really good quality beans!

So, I got some Beloya beans from Atkinsons, the local roasters, and ground up a 90 gramme batch to develop another short strip from my test roll. It came out just fine, so time to go out and shoot a full new roll to develop.

A very intersting experiment, Chris. I always suspected that the use of instant coffee was down to cheapness and consistency, but it looks like the latter is not so important and suggests that the active substance(s) in it is (are) in excess (or are you using vitaimin C as well).

If it is just the caffeic acid acting as a reducing agent then an extract of Star Anise should be very potent (photopigments from the herbs might be problematic though).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeic_acid

I am amazed how expensive secondhand transmission densitometers are on eBay. I have a Heiland TRD-Z here in Germany and I think I still have an old X-Rite model in the darkroom in the UK, but its been years since I last saw (or even used) it. If the X-Rite is still around you are more than welcome to it, but is not as compact as a Heiland one (nor as versatile). I'll have a look when I'm back over.

Hi Pete,
Yes, I'm using vitamin C.
I've studied various tables that show the caffeic acid content of all sorts of food and drink and there are some interesting diversions that one could take! However, for these purposes, we have to stick with coffee for now.
That's a very kind offer on the densitometer, thank you. You'll have to provide on-line training for me too though!!

The other night, I went out with a roll of Ilford Delta 400 with the aim of harvesting a full roll of images to test the recipe with the new beans. So, I wandered up the road to the old silk mill where there is always some interesting rammel to make pictures of. Just beyond that is the old church. I whacked off the full roll of 36 in exactly 32 minutes, went home and set about the work at hand.

Sil mill h chestnut.JPG

Silk mill alders.JPG

Silk mill chimney.JPG

The scenes are nothing special but as for the processing, these may well be the best quality black and white negatives I have ever developed on 35mm. I am staggered!!

I agree, pretty much spot-on: the shadows under the trees was probably the most challenging and that is just right. I guess microscopically you might be able to see a difference in the grain structure from what might be gained using a commercial developer, especially one 'optimised' for the Delta emulsions, and that might show with big enlargements, but from these, no.

Back