Notes From The Top Left Corner

Oops, just when you were getting the hang of it too. I quite like Lensbabies, but I think the original is still the best even though all the optic swap system etc is quite clever. Matching tights and mask: there's an album title in there I'm sure.

My favourite those is the shot of the Chives. I like the way Lensbabies can create this movement.

I really like the chives. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get a single thing (as far as I could see) in focus with the f/2 aperture disc in, so realised I had to embrace the fact.
It broke when I was focussing with the f/8 disc on some close leaves. So I was extending rather that compressing it. The ring that the optic swap assembly is mounted in came off the smaller one that is connected to the corrugated tube. I'm assuming I can repair it with glue but am wary that a repair will fail in the future.

I need to remove the lens assembly but am unsure how to do it without the tool that comes with the alternative optic swap units, I see three little tabs that the tool must engage with. Pete, do you know how the tool engages with these?

If I can do a successful repair, I think I might try to find a glass lens insert, as I can see a lot of potential in this strange little thing.

I see. There are close up lens set for these too so you don't need to extend.

The special tool is simply the lid of the Optic Swap container and is nothing fancy, just 3 plastic tabs. As I recall you just insert the lid and rotate. I'll check tomorrow which direction.

I see. There are close up lens set for these too so you don't need to extend.

The special tool is simply the lid of the Optic Swap container and is nothing fancy, just 3 plastic tabs. As I recall you just insert the lid and rotate. I'll check tomorrow which direction.
Thanks that would be great. Is it possible for you to work out whether the tool pushes the tabs outwards, or inwards, please Pete?

That's great thank Pete - I've commented in the thread. I'll keep you posted on progress.

In the meantime, I also took delivery of another lens during the week. A Minolta Auto-Rokkor PF 58mm f/1,4. My experience with the Hi-Matic and the Autocord have led me to rather fall in love with the look I've been getting from Rokkor lenses and so, when this one popped up at a very good price, I snapped it up.
There was a little fungus growing in between the two front elements, so I gave it a clean. Always a tense moment when I get my clumsy mitts and failing eyes to work on a lens, but I managed to somehow get away with it again.

Minolta Auto Rokkor PF 52mm 1.4.JPG

I went out for a couple of hours this morning with the Rokkor. After some great weather for the last few weeks, today turned out to be not much more than a good day for photographing people with umbrellas.

Oriental brolly.JPG

Beans.JPG

Big brolly.JPG

Last edited:
I took loads of shots of that little fella!
He was dancing and twirling around that wet, empty market square for ages. I tried so hard to slow the shutter speed down to a point where I could get some swirl and smearing of the brolly, but the paving was so wet and reflective that I couldn't get the effect I wanted.

Big brolly 2.JPG

Last edited:
Must admit, I had to look that lens up, not heard of it. What a strange device, it does give some interesting effects. I do like the second one, looks like she is walking through a painting.

Must admit, I had to look that lens up, not heard of it. What a strange device, it does give some interesting effects. I do like the second one, looks like she is walking through a painting.
I went to Sunderland Point the other evening. This is on the west side of the Lune Estuary, which feeds into Morecambe Bay, just down the road from Heysham, where there was a tragic domestic gas explosion this weekend. The Point is cut off from civilisation for a few hours every day, due to the high tides but there is a little village there. It's a great place to go if you like wet mud!
I didn't take this photo with the Lensbaby but I just tried to get a paint-like effect by just waving my camera around a bit. Lots of useless results, but one or two were interesting. I like this one, especially.

Sunderland Point.JPG

I went to Sunderland Point the other evening. This is on the west side of the Lune Estuary, which feeds into Morecambe Bay, just down the road from Heysham, where there was a tragic domestic gas explosion this weekend. The Point is cut off from civilisation for a few hours every day, due to the high tides but there is a little village there. It's a great place to go if you like wet mud!
I didn't take this photo with the Lensbaby but I just tried to get a paint-like effect by just waving my camera around a bit. Lots of useless results, but one or two were interesting. I like this one, especially.

View attachment 16378
This is very nice.

There's some more on this website and his Flickr stream. Unfortunately he seems to concentrate on his ceramics more that photography these days:

https://juliandecourcy.weebly.com/abstract.html

https://www.flickr.com/photos/juliandecourcy/albums/72157635687214655
Yeah Pete I see Julian's excellent ceramics as well as his intriguing abstract paintings on Instagram. You're right,...photography is not his main thing at the moment. I encouraged him to post to RPF again but the timing just isn't right for him. It's a pity because his work is always interesting.

Back