Oak.

I always find it difficult to take photos of trees, and I am always dissatisfied with the result. I would like to shoot them in all their majesty, but they are usually too big, they are backlit, and the result does not do justice to the subject. Then I try to shoot details (the roots, the trunk, the branches, the leaves), but I am even more frustrated because I would like to reproduce the whole tree and portray the emotion it causes in me.
Do you have any advice for me on how to photograph a tree without taking anything away from it?

I always find it difficult to take photos of trees, and I am always dissatisfied with the result. I would like to shoot them in all their majesty, but they are usually too big, they are backlit, and the result does not do justice to the subject. Then I try to shoot details (the roots, the trunk, the branches, the leaves), but I am even more frustrated because I would like to reproduce the whole tree and portray the emotion it causes in me.
Do you have any advice for me on how to photograph a tree without taking anything away from it?
I know your question wasn't for me, Gianluca, and I am not qualified to give advice on the subject so I won't, but whenever I see a tree isolated in the landscape I always want to photograph it.

I'm not really sure I'm any better qualified to answer the question, I'm afraid. I go with my gut, I suppose, trying to portray whatever it is that catches my imagination at the time. I'm not sure I can be any more precise without possibly trying to 'teach grandma to suck eggs' as it were, or maybe even sounding a tad weird..
I also find it quite a challenge to capture that particular 'something', as many misses as hits. Brian, I fully understand your itchy trigger finger when seeing lone trees, or maybe a small group. I'm the same☺️. Sorry I'm not more help, Gianluca 🫤.
There"s a tree up the hill from us, a very old ash, now just a skeleton of it's former, living self. Despite it's demise many years ago it"s still a most imposing spectacle, dominating the scenery around. I've taken pics of it from various angles, tines of day, etc, even ynder moonlight, but I've yet to fully capture it's essence in a truly satisfying manner. Still, I intend to keep trying when I can. If you're interested I'll gather two or three views of it and post here 🙃🙂.

Sadly, dead or dying ash trees here are becoming an ever more common site. There"s a beautiful ancient ash across the lane from us, still thriving. All fingers and toes crossed it remains that way..

In Canberra, most of the older suburbs have avenues of trees planted down the roads, and there's some rather interesting trees, including several different kinds of oaks.
My dad has a booklet that was published by some organization (or maybe it was actually the local government...) with lists of all the species and the streets that they grow on.
It's fascinating in a way, as some thought was evidently put into it, over the years. They're still planting too, in the newer suburbs, although less as the shift towards higher density housing leaves a bit less room for trees.

These trees are a bit hard to photograph as they're all in rows, and there's messy things like houses everywhere ;) but I might see if I can hunt out a few I did take...

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

Sadly, dead or dying ash trees here are becoming an ever more common site. There"s a beautiful ancient ash across the lane from us, still thriving. All fingers and toes crossed it remains that way..
Sadly indeed.
Ash is going to all but disappear from the UK landscape. I have overseen a large scale (county sized) survey to determine the rate at which they have succumbed to infection from Ash Dieback disease and the result was well over 90%. Some are resistant but that figure is low.

You image in the OP is lovely Ralph.
So as to not sully your thread with one of my photos, I will start another to post an image of my favourite Oak.

Last edited:
Sadly indeed.
Ash is going to all but disappear from the UK landscape. I have overseen a large scale (county sized) survey to determine the rate at which they have succumbed to infection from Ash Dieback disease and the result was well over 90%. Some are resistant but that figure is low.
😥

Back