Only operational steam line in the Netherlands

Bob Jarman

and interestingly, the locomotive was purchased from Switzerland since all Dutch equipment was scraped after WWII - at least so we were told. Valkenburg - Simpleveld Line

_SteamColor.jpg

X-Pro1 35mm f/1.4 1/250s 640 ISO 0.0 EV

A super shot Bob and quite a different feels between the colour and mono versions. The colour works more as a record I think whereas the mono version seems to contain more the feel of steam, and not just because it could be seen as a more nostalgic rendering. Somehow, the steam and the oil feel more real if that makes sense.

I like 'em both but I think I prefer the mono one; that nostalgic look appeals to me. Having said that I think I know what Pete means with regard to the "record" the color one gives as well as the feel of the steam and oil in the mono. Its a fine comp in either treatment, that is for sure.

Thanks everyone!

I think Pete is the first to articulate the distinction between color (pardon my spelling :)) and the monochrome. Visually the monochrome conveys the essence of freshly oiled and well maintained machinery - just by seeing I know how it would feel to touch. Seeing it, I also smell the oil.

Thanks Pete, helps put things nicely into perspective as well as me to understand why some prefer the color - I'd guess they'd never worked with machinery or oiled and cleaned a firearm, etc.

Back