Palatki AZ

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Palatki Heritage Site is located in the Coconino National Forest in Sedona, Arizona. Built in the formidable red rock cliffs of the area are a set of ruins belonging to the Sinagua.

web.jpg

The Sinagua are thought to be connected to the Hopi Indian Tribe. The word Palatki means 'red house' in the Hopi language. You can see the dwelling bottom right, just above the tree-line.

web.jpg

The Sinagua created the ruins from 1100 to 1400, but there are pictographs and petroglyphs that are much older. It's told that ancestors of Native American's lived in the area from around 1150 to 1300 CE. This is the cliff overhang, under which they lived.

web.jpg

Some of the petroglyphs are estimated to be 5,000 to 6,000 years old and came from the more archaic cultures. You can see black outlines on the rock in the areas stained by the soot from open fires.

web.jpg

A couple of other interesting rock formations from the area - the loaf of bread

web.jpg

And tree in the rock

web.jpg

Well worth a visit if you're in the Sedona area - note you need to call ahead and book first with the U.S. Forest Service.

Amazing shots and colors Chris. Love the pictographs, too. Looks like an abandoned dwelling in #3. Is it? I think 6 is my favorite, but they are all excellent.

Thanks Brian, it's an amazing location.

The building in #3 has been updated by a later land owner for crop storage, so isn't original. They no longer let you near the real stuff!

What's the difference between a pictograph and petroglyph then?
Great photos Chris, but I find my self distracted by the content/story!
Is that some sort of wood structure on top of a man made wall? How old is that then?
You mention you have to ring ahead... What do you book? A tour? Is it protected, is it like a museum? Sorry stupid questions maybe, I don't think we have anything like this over here ... How do they stop kids from wrecking it? Or is it just miles from anywhere??

Is that some sort of wood structure on top of a man made wall? How old is that then?
You mention you have to ring ahead... What do you book? A tour? Is it protected, is it like a museum? Sorry stupid questions maybe, I don't think we have anything like this over here ... How do they stop kids from wrecking it? Or is it just miles from anywhere??

The wall was probably built between 1100 to 1400 - although the pictographs are much older in many cases. The wood structure in top is a roof framework - probably covered with material or skin originally. There's no rainfall under the cliff edge, so most likely just to keep out animals etc, and control the temperature and humidity of the rooms.

It's very much cooler under the cliff, and this is a big part of why folks wanted to live there. It's also f-dark, I was using ISO 1250 to get 1/15 at f8. In a bright and hot environment, living in the lee of the cliff was like having shades and AC! And also meant that anything coming to try and eat you was coming from one direction only!!!

The people who run the site today are the U.S. Forest Service, they only allow a small number of visitors per day, so you have to call ahead and check in with them. They can tell you they're full during peak season! When you get there you check-in at the ranger station, then there are guides at the dwellings to talk to you, and stop you doing anything destructive!

They keep rangers on site 24x7 - so access is controlled to a large degree - it's also miles away down a forest road which needs a 4x4 in winter to get to. In summer you could do the trip with a rental car, but you wouldn't be taking your own car down that track unless it was an SUV or truck!

palatki-new.png

Some of the rangers are extremely knowledgeable, and can give you a full history lesson - others are grumpy old volunteers who just tell you not to touch stuff ;)

Here's a link to the official Forest Service webpage on the site: Coconino National Forest - Palatki Ruins

There are many sites in the area around Sedona and Flagstaff - and there are links from the page above to some of them.

Now I know!
The states really does have a lot to see eh?
Id love to have a mooch around somewhere like this! ...
But then i havent even been to stone henge ... silly really!

Stunning Colours........Great Shots not sure whether I have a favourite or not..........love em all...

Back