Part Exchange - would I be crazy?

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
Thinking of offering both my Fuji X100 and Fuji X-S1 in part exchange for a Fuji X-E1 and wide-angle lens. Would I be crazy?

I've written to the Fuji shop to see if they do such a thing, and also Mifsuds Photographic Ltd who have said in a magazine ad that they welcome part exchange.

No prices yet, so difficult to say from that angle.

On the other hand, it does get me moving into the area of interchangeable lenses...

Confession time - I hardly ever use the viewfinder. The dual-use viewfinder is one of the features of the X100, but I found myself hardly ever using it, but when I did, I preferred the EVF over the OVF.

Mifsuds have replied saying £500 plus the two cameras. I was hoping for a better deal than that.

- - - Updated - - -

Motivation? Higher image quality and multiple lenses of the same quality as the X-Pro1...

I have really enjoyed using primes with my Sony over the last few months, but.... given the cost of the excellent glassware for the X-E1 the new zoom looks to be a bit special and as a first lens would certainly be a versatile choice unless you really need the f/2 of the the 18mm. From Wex: £420 as a kit lens, £599 otherwise.

XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 zoom lens - Fujifilm X Mount Lenses Discussions on Fuji X Series Camera Forum - Fujifilm X-Pro1 X-E1 X100 X10 XF1

Or if you want to go straight to one of ricopress's Flickr images:

DSCF5185 by ricopress, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thinking of offering both my Fuji X100 and Fuji X-S1 in part exchange for a Fuji X-E1 and wide-angle lens. Would I be crazy?

Confession time - I hardly ever use the viewfinder. The dual-use viewfinder is one of the features of the X100, but I found myself hardly ever using it, but when I did, I preferred the EVF over the OVF.

Mifsuds have replied saying £500 plus the two cameras. I was hoping for a better deal than that.

- - - Updated - - -

Motivation? Higher image quality and multiple lenses of the same quality as the X-Pro1...

Hey Rob

XE1 reminds me of Leica Digilux 2 but with interchangeable lenses.
X100 i think will become one of the classics of digital cameras. I tested three times X100. If the X100 OVF was 100% & gave accurate indication of where it was focusing especially close & no parallax error then for me it would have been camera lust.
As it is for seeing exactly what i am taking and shallow dof i preferred the EVF.

X-trans sensor is supposed to be something else & the layout with Qmenu of XE1 seems more friendly.
With adapter many legacy lenses should look wonderful on XTrans.

35mm f1.4 is supposed to be a super lens and theres a 23mm f1.4 (?) coming.
A friend loves photogrpahy and if i had the funds, out of all the cameras i would get her XE1 & 35mm 1.4.

EDIT :
£500 alone should be for X100 & £325-£350 XS1 ... only thing ebay charge 10% on cameras & paypal 4%.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your thoughts. I'm just musing on the idea while my X100 is away getting looked at. I'll have my hands busy with the Mamiya at the weekend. Having the possibility of changing lenses is something I've not experienced before, which is one of the reasons for thinking about the X-E1. On the other hand, the Sony RX100 is much cheaper, and has great quality.

I think I'll sell the X-S1 - a really good zoom camera for the price, but I rarely use it. One trip to the zoo is about all.

Anyone want to buy an X-S1?

I'm thinking so. Just got a nice little royalty cheque for a ukulele book :) and could buy the RX100 outright, while trying to sell the XS1. I would need to write Lady Gagga For Ukulele to pay for an XPro1!

Just got a nice little royalty cheque for a ukulele book :) and could buy the RX100 outright, while trying to sell the XS1. I would need to write Lady Gagga For Ukulele to pay for an XPro1!

Just to tempt you to spend again :)

The RX100 is only £447 at Amazon and there is £50 cash back from Sony,

Sony Cybershot DSC-RX100 Digital Camera 3 inch LCD: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Just make sure the seller is Amazon and not a market place seller as Amazon links change often and you would need to buy from Amazon directly and not some dodgy seller to qualify for Cash back as you need a proper invoice.

The Sony RX100 makes the Fuji X100 feel like a dinosaur as Hamish once said [devil]

Just to add to the confusion, despite Hamish having taken to his like a duck to water (or whatever the equivalent is out in the wilds of Worcestershire), I'm still struggling with mine and may well give the Sigma DP2 Merrill a go. The video capabilities of the Sony are great but I am not 'melding' with the stills side. The grip should be waiting for me when I get back to the UK (OK, I'm theoretically in the UK at the moment but stuck in the lounge at LHR T5 in transit) and maybe that will help - I am dubious! :confused:

I'm still struggling with mine and may well give the Sigma DP2 Merrill a go. The video capabilities of the Sony are great but I am not 'melding' with the stills side. The grip should be waiting for me when I get back to the UK (OK, I'm theoretically in the UK at the moment but stuck in the lounge at LHR T5 in transit) and maybe that will help - I am dubious! :confused:

Priya has got a RX100 as well, so I got to play with it, and examine its image outputs quite thoroughly.

I didn't get on with it, apart from the missing dials (which I've gotten used to from my 5D2 and X100), and me unable to hold on to it due to its physical size/shape. The deal breaker for me is the lack of focus distance indicator... I mainly do zone focusing and knowing the focus distance is kinda important. ;)

When there is sufficient light, it produces nice images. But I find its images suffer a bit more than X100 when shooting on the street at night.

Just my 2 cents, have fun choosing your new toy, Rob. :)

Thought the RX100 was wonderful when demonstrated in Shrewsbury. Went back last week to take a loads of pics to download at home and did exact shots with my trusty 5n fitted with the EVF to compare. Cannot deny that the RX shots were superb, but many of the 5n shots were better (to my eyes anyway) and whilst I was taken with the dinkyness of it and the ability to put it in my pocket I wasn't as enamoured as the first time. It felt slippery, and I was conscious of dropping it all the time and after a while I became tired of holding it out front to squint into the LCD.

Its the EVF wot won in the end so the 5n has had a (another) reprieve.

But, having recently sold my silver X100 and purchased Titch, a refurbished X10, I realised just how much I missed the wonderful colours and sheer joy of using the X100. So imagine my horror to see that Amazon UK had mis-priced the Limited Edition X100 at £650.

I of course emailed them immediately to warn them of their folly. I say immediately, but more like immediately after I had the confirmatory email saying one was its way to Mid Wales with my name on it.

Joy of joys, a beautiful black X100 complete with all the trimmings, and the bonus of all bonuses, my long suffering Chief of Staff thinks it is my X10. No need to hide, no need to justify another camera and no need to bribe her with craft and other girly stuff. Reminder to self, do not take both out at same time and fill the second 0 on the top plate with a black felt pen..

So Rob each to their own but whilst I was very impressed by the RX100, I love the tactile feel of a camera with soul and re-kindled my love affair with that most temperamental of mistresses, Madame X100 du Noir. She feels good in my hands. Unlike the smooth and so techno RX100.

Whatever you choose, enjoy.

Last edited:
Joy of joys, a beautiful black X100 complete with all the trimmings, and the bonus of all bonuses, my long suffering Chief of Staff thinks it is my X10. No need to hide, no need to justify another camera and no need to bribe her with craft and other girly stuff. Reminder to self, do not take both out at same time and fill the second 0 on the top plate with a black felt pen..

Genius move - you have set the bar sir! :D :D :D

Back