Critique Welcomed Port Townsend Scenes

Brian Moore

Took the ferry over to Port Townsend this past Monday. Along with me I took my 1937/38 vintage Voigtlander Bessa loaded with Cinestill XX. I haven't shot with that camera in several years and had forgotten how the film numbering system works. The aspect ratio is 6x9. I shot the first two images (numbers 1 and 2 in the little red window) and then I got confused. 6x9...? Does that mean I skip every other number....? So that's what I did after number 2. Of course I was wrong. The numbers are consecutive, which I didn't find out until I processed the roll. On my first shot, which I didn't scan, the subject was out of focus. I realized after I pressed the shutter release that I had not extended the bellows completely so I knew something wouldn't be in focus. Finally I tried to get a decent image of a de-consecrated old church, but the sports finder misled me and I missed the framing. All in all, though, I'm quite happy with how the old voigtlander performed. (Images processed in Cinestill Df96.)

Dry Dock

Vessel at Anchor

Ferry Terminal

Old Church (poorly framed)

I like the first three shots. I remember sitting on that dock (by the bay). Here's a shot of the ferry bell...ferry bell.jpg
I dropped off my 2nd roll from the Voigtländer Perkeo 2 today after shooting it yesterday at the Oregon Coast. I metered this time, so I'll be curious if the camera is doing its job or if it's just going to sit on the shelf and look cute from now on. I had another roll of Kodak Gold 200 (same as last time from same box of 5 rolls. Maybe if it looks like the last roll I'll shoot a roll of B&W?

Thanks Julian. Yeah the Bessa is working alright given its age. It was well-taken care of before I bought it about 12 years ago. It’s delightful that so many of these old machines just keep on ticking. Thanks again, Julian.

that's a fun town. i wish i'd explored it more when i was there. guess i'll have to go back. the 2nd shot is my favorite of the bunch. i like the large amount of negative space around the boat.
Thanks Beth. Yeah Port Townsend is a delightful little town. Well-worth a visit if you're in the area.

Back