What is a real photographer ?

I joined this forum not because it's called "Real Photographers", but because it is a forum for film photographers. Not mainly film, although it would seem that a good number of the members here are using film for their photographs. I would've joined no matter what the name of it was, tbh. So, the word "real" never had any impact on my decision to join; the fact that I sometime write for 35MMC had, though. Sort of like you're friend with someone at work, and then you get invited to his backyard for a Sunday party. Get to know him better, deepen the friendship, that kind of thing; especially if me and him have the same (or almost the same) hobbies or pastimes activities.

I know what RPF stands for, but let's play the game: what does it mean to be a real photographer? No idea, for I am not really interested in placing myself or others in small little boxes with fancy labels on them. We are and do what we are and do, I guess. Labels just spoil the fun we're suppose to have in the process of whatever we're doing, irrespective of the results. My personal belief, of course.

The 'real' in the name of RPF does cause some confusion, and the lead post in this thread does not help. When Hamish created RPF he used the real and the rules that surround it to insist that members use their real names and not a nickname to limit the poor behaviour he had become frustrated with on other forums. And it worked.

As far as I am concerned, we all use cameras and produce photographs and are sufficiently proud of the results that we even put our name to them. If that doesn't make us real photographers I don't know what else does! ;)

Back