Pre-Dawn Inversion

Lesley Jones

Otherwise know as Zooey
I learned a new word before my trip to the Peak District - Inversion. To sum it up:

"Under certain conditions, the normal vertical temperature gradient is inverted such that the air is colder near the surface of the Earth. This can occur when, for example, a warmer, less-dense air mass moves over a cooler, denser air mass."

Now I don't know how rare this is, but the chances of it happening during my three day stay seemed unlikely. So when my alarm went off at 4.00 on the last morning, I looked out of the window and thought "damn fog". Then I got excited because I knew I was heading back to Curbar Edge.

I arrived well before sunrise and had a chance to say good morning to the bullocks who had spent the night in the heather along the ridge. Clambering down to Pillar Rock, I then found it was so early that the auto-focus wouldn't function. Blast! Reverting to hyperfocal distance I shot a few bracketed exposures. I prefer the first, but it's been odd to process. The mist is way below pure white and in fact, I have hardly touched the levels or the saturation. This really was before sunrise though and I'm wary of boosting the contrast. I may tinker later, but I must go and do the litter trays now...

DawnInversion.jpg

Magnificent Lesley, the richness of the colour temperatures and the overall tones make me feel as though I am there. What more could you ask from a landscape.

What a great mixture of colours and textures :) very nice shot

very nice picture :) Temperature Inversion is pretty much a regular occurance in the Scottish Highlands, to a point it get annoying trying to get a clear shot first thing in the morning lol

The way the low lying mist frames the trees - and the world above with the dawn sky and that imposing rock - wonderful

Back