Problems Viewing Images

Lesley Jones

Otherwise know as Zooey
[This post refers to an image in Portraits - http://www.realphotographersforum.com/forum/threads/happy-accident.13879/]

Does anyone have any clue as to why I can't see this image? They are either red crosses as in here, or when there are small images on black, they never seem to load. The latter happens at home too. I'm afraid I'm on the point of giving up with the forum... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry to hear of your continued problems Lesley ....
This is a particularly large image, I wonder if something is timing out on your connection? I'd love to be able to help, but I'm pretty certain you are suffering with client side issues rather than server side ... ie browser, javascript, etc purely on the basis that no one else seems to suffer ...

Oh crumbs - you want me to get technical now. I normally leave that to my husband. Work I know is a very old OS, probably XP, but I believe they block a lot of stuff and things can be visible one day and not the next. YouTube vanished the other week, but it's partly back now. I think we are moving to Windows 7 soon, but that will be highly customised too. Home is Windows 8, but our connection is appalling. We are literally at the end of the line - we can't see any other property from where we live. The connection goes on a regular basis, sometimes because of hot, cold, wet or windy weather. Speeds when I try and upload are often 80 to 120 Kps and no... I didn't get that wrong. Trying to get a fairly small video on YouTube often leaves me sitting up well after I should be in bed.

At work I couldn't see this or some of Brian's images. Steve's show up differently in that you click on one tiny image and you get a black background. I guess you are supposed to select from the little thumbnails at the bottom. At work, it doesn't... work, I mean and the large image never appears. At home it can take ages. Sometimes I can eventually get them all (let's say five out of five), but more often than not, one or two never materialise. I feel guilty for not commenting much, or commenting on some people's and not others.

I'd don't think it is an age of OS thing as I can see the whole site and all images on a Win2K machine! When I was in a hotel last week the connection sometime got very slow but I was still able to get an image eventually. Have you tried the BT tool to check what speed your line is supposed to support? http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ If it is short of what they say you can support they are supposed (obliged) to sort out.

I hadn't heard of the checker, but I can't make much sense of it. I do think we are "punished" by BT because our line often goes. My husband says they assume we have a fault and reduce the speed for a couple of days just in case. We were told by the engineers once that the distance between us and the neighbour (also crossing a river) was too much for whatever posts and lines they put in. We used to get a regular discount because our phone line was out of action so often. (I don't know whether to insert and happy or sad smiley here) ;)

Back