Ptarmigan

Ralph Thornton

I just returned from an 8 day cross country mountaineering adventure in Glacier National Park Montana. Got lots of photos. I'll share more eventually but I'm most happy with this photo of ptarmigan in the alpine country near the former Red Eagle Glacier. They move or walk very slowly thinking, I believe, that their plumage hides them from view. They were eating the seeds of an alpine sorrel.

ptarmigan.jpg

WOW! Stunning image Ralph - almost 3D

Almost looks like some fill light?

WOW! Stunning image Ralph - almost 3D

Almost looks like some fill light?
Thanks all. Sometimes things work out just right. No fill light was used as I do not carry a flash or reflector when backpacking and the 5D2 does not have built in flash. Processing was minimal also. I only cropped the image and applied some sharpening.

My group of three was hiking with full mountaineering backpacks and had left camp only a few minutes earlier. The sun was peeking in an out of the clouds but I tried to get good light on the birds so as to make sure I got a catchlight in their eyes.

I used my 5D2 with a 70-200 f4 IS L lens shooting mostly at f4 for a faster shutter speed. I think my ISO was set at 200. The shot was hand held and I was still wearing the big 45 pound pack.

Only saw one bird at first, the mottled one and shot numerous images of that one. I then stepped down off the ledge to get a different angle and get lower and it was only then that I noticed the second bird. It had been closed to my feet and I may have almost stepped on it. They move very slowly and blend in so well that I almost missed it. At first the two birds were too far apart but they moved together nicely and this photo was one of the last ones I made. I ordered a print and am looking forward to seeing it.

That's a beauty Ralph.

Nice image Ralph - out of interest do you find it easier or worse while hand holding and wearing a back pack? I actually find it easier, almost using it like a counter balance!
Lee,
Most times I shuck the backpack when taking photos. Without the big pack I can move around easier and its easier to brace my arms against my legs to steady hand held shots. I agree, though, that the pack does act as a counterweight at times.

In this instance the area around the birds was fairly wet and much of it was filled with flowers. I didn't want to crush the vegetation or get my pack wet. I also thought the birds would move away if I disturbed them too much.

Last edited:
Back