Queen of the night, as it blossoms only for a few minutes and then withers within a few hours. Here it is outside our front door, soon coming in.

Lovely flower to share Ivar, to add to the knowledge it is closely related to a cactus as most think of them, but one of the Epiphyllum species - Christmas cactus are in them, as are dragon fruits to help link them in Stevenson's mind.

It's got lots of common misleading names, known by some as an orchid, but not at all related.

Lovely flower to share Ivar, to add to the knowledge it is closely related to a cactus as most think of them, but one of the Epiphyllum species - Christmas cactus are in them, as are dragon fruits to help link them in Stevenson's mind.

It's got lots of common misleading names, known by some as an orchid, but not at all related.
I knew it was a cactus 🌵🌵😆

_K3J0003.jpg
Here, on the other hand, is a cactus. The first one does not resemble a cactus at all. It is more like a tree; if we did not trim it, I guess it would grow large. it is about 180cm, as tall as me, but bending slightly as we get older and burdened. Now this one is also as old as the other, bought in Denmark 30 years ago and brought home. We take both in as winter approaches.

View attachment 18003
Here, on the other hand, is a cactus. The first one does not resemble a cactus at all. It is more like a tree; if we did not trim it, I guess it would grow large. it is about 180cm, as tall as me, but bending slightly as we get older and burdened. Now this one is also as old as the other, bought in Denmark 30 years ago and brought home. We take both in as winter approaches.
It would be interesting to see the foliage from the plant Ivar, I based my views on both the name, inflorescence characteristics (including the pistal and stamen) and visual evidence of the image. The epiphytes can get very large and almost tree like.

I never intended to dispute whichever family the Queen of the night belongs to Wes and I shall supply some more pictures of the two before I leave for other countries. Bear with me please.

I never intended to dispute whichever family the Queen of the night belongs to Wes and I shall supply some more pictures of the two before I leave for other countries. Bear with me please.
Same Ivar :) I appreciate the share, it's a curiousity with botany that gets stirred up from time to time and leads me to dig into research 😁. I hope wherever you are off to next is a pleasant journey.

Queen og the night in daylight..jpg
Here is the queen of the night right now.

Attachments

• socalled cactus bought in Denm.jpg
    socalled cactus bought in Denm.jpg
    632.4 KB · Views: 4
  • The socalled cactus bought in Denmark..jpg
    The socalled cactus bought in Denmark..jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 4
  • trunk of the queen.jpg
    trunk of the queen.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 4
Back