Critique Welcomed Rancho De Taos

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
This was a shoot I'd wanted to do since we were last in the area two years ago.

The San Francisco de Asis Mission Church was built between 1772 and 1816, but is re-surfaced every year with new adobe by the locals - so it always looks slightly different on each visit.

I used TPE software to work out the sunset and twilight times - and arrived just before the sun went down so that I could scope the location in daylight.

10720149143_ec91bb0fae_c.jpg

X-Pro1 and 18mm Lens at f/11 - 7.5 sec exposure on a tripod

The shot above was taken shortly after sunset, with a nice warm glow illuminating the adobe.

I waited another 10 mins or so to capture the second image - with a lovely deep blue twilight as backdrop.

10719532535_c69e26d7a6_b.jpg

X-Pro1 and 14mm Lens at f/8 - 3.2 sec exposure on a tripod

You sure find some fascinating places to shoot. The evening light really helps dramatize this set.

Beautiful, Chris. Both images.

If it gets resurfaced every year that must be why it seems to look fatter and fatter every time I see it.
Very true Rob - and thank you :)

That sounds like me!

Gorgeous Chris and meticulously planned as usual. Beautifully sculpted by the light.
Thanks Pete - I find I'm keeping a to-do list these days, and slowly working through it!

Very nice, Chris. Love the blue...
Thanks Rob - this was the color I visualized for the shot - and the weather/light delivered, although I would have liked the floodlights on the church to have ben on!

You sure find some fascinating places to shoot. The evening light really helps dramatize this set.
Thanks Glenn - I'm a lucky man - understanding wife, and a willingness to travel

Really nice, the glow of the sun on the first is lovely and the sky in the second too.
Thanks Paul - ISO 200 RAW on the X-Pro in very low noise, and really does a lovely job capturing the mood and feel after sunset

both of them have some really great colors, i love the orange/purple combo in the first.
Thanks Beth - thinking I might use one as a Christmas card shot this year - what do you think?

either would be fine for christmas cards. i think the colors of the second are a little more christmas/new years looking than the orange/purple.
Agreed - cards ordered from Apple - roll on the holidays! :)

Back