Riots ...

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
So what do we make of all this nonsense?

I'm shocked it's happening, but not supprised that there are this many people capable and willing to get involved in this sort of thing!

What irks me is that there is no real reason for it ...
Justification seems to be the fact that these youths are disolusioned, that they have nothing to do and that there are no jobs...
I'm not sure how stupid you have to be to think that this sort of activity might change these problems?
The problem with these people is that they have been spoiled, our society is in ruin due to what seems to be a belief that we deserve something for nothing!
They ruin all thier chances then blame it on someone else ... Then just make it worse for them selves by doing this sort of thing!
Bar a minority, we are all privalidged in this country, the welfare state is a wonderful thing that has been taken advantage of and stretched to ruin, now we can't afford it anymore people still expect it, and more!
As a society we have lost to a greater extent the desire to work hard to improve ourselves, that improvement is was what should bring people the nice things in life ...
These youths dont get that! It's just take take take ... It's discusting, but its now so ingrained in society I doubt there is any real solution

Looks really similar to many of the riots that plaqued American cities in the late 60s. There is an underlying reason for discontent but it irrupts into a nonsensical group od violent actions. I'm not sure anyone has figured out why people engage in activities that destroy their own communities but think they are doing it for a good reason. I think it's simple mob rule that takes over.

I sent my sympathy to all those impacted by this violence and hope that as many perpetrators as possible are brought to justice.

Last edited:
police-xmas.jpeg

I think that summation is probably pretty accurate Hamish. OK I know there are probably all sorts of underlying issues but suspect that many are excuses for the basics you've outlined. I also think that the current celebrity culture feeds into this somehow - getting wealth, fame, 'respect' just for being famous. And fame based on nothing more than celebrity itself (Paris Hilton et al). You just need the right 'break'. No need to work hard. No need for respect. No need to build respect. No need for self respect (it's a laugh to get trashed every Friday). Somehow this is all mixed up together. How we go back I do not know.

TV led instant gratification - see it, get it now - no consequences.

Not sure what we're going to do with all the people they're going to have to arrest - but I hope it provides some redress for the local folks who lost their property and felt fear in their own neighborhoods.

Maybe march the convicted crims through town, and have them scrub the streets whilst their neighbors let them know what they think of them...

My experience of the Birmingham riots...Myself and herself went into Birmingham yesterday to see if we could photograph any of the action. There wasn't much; well; there was smashed window's all over the place and you could sense the tension in the atmosphere. There were police everywhere and apart from the rudimentary "post-riot" shots, we didn't get much...*sort of sad face*.
We got home to Hamstead at about 5-ish and at 7, I decide to go to the shop and get ciggies. As I made my way towards Tesco, I could see a group of about 30 (I won't use the word men) assholes, dressed in black bandannas, black clothes, gloves, the lot, walking toward me. Even the sight of it scared me enough into walking a tad faster, so that I got to the relative safety of Tesco...!?
I was only in the door of the place, when they casually walked in, jumped the counters and start helping themselves. The shop is only small so they consumed every part of it very quickly and simply took what they wanted.
Nobody knew what the hell to do, there were OAP's, as well as very young children in there and given that it was rather traumatic for a 27 year old, I can't imagine how the kids slept last night.
I suppose what I am getting at is essentially; I was fairly brave when I wanted to shoot the riots from the relative safety from behind a police line or what have you...but when I was locked in a shop with about 30 of these menacing, skulking, nobodies things were very different. It really did spook me, and not one person either knew, or was willing to do anything except put their head down and wait for it to be over.
Anyway, I didn't get my ciggie's, so I had to then go to the next shop up the road (their direction of travel) and get some there...I also got lots of beer...
On a serious note though. Even if I had the camera with me, One of two things would have happened...One: I was to dumbstruck to use a camera at that moment so I would not have been able to take a shot. And Two, they most definitely would have just lifted it of my shoulder and had it for free. *Very sad face*

Last edited:
When i saw the riots in west bromwich my first thoughts were "Barry's making him self known then"... ;)
Seriously, i was thinking of you last night matey, glad nothing saw you come a cropper ...
Hows things going since the move?
What do you want to do with all your stuff thats still at the shop?
I have yet to pick up those speakers... shall i see if i can bring your stuff up with me when i fetch them?

Our office is in Brum city centre. Some local shops got their glass kicked in. Tall office blocks like ours were mainly ignored of course.

Last two days, everyone at our office has been allowed/encouraged to go home at 4pm.

Apparently there is now a petition to remove offenders benefits https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/7337
Who comes up with these things ...

I love this bit

No tax payer should have to contribute to those who have destroyed property, stolen from their community and shown a disregard for the country that provides for them.

Who or what do try think pays for our prison system?

The word is rehabilitation people! Gutter segregation isn't going to help is it??

Take away te benefits and we will pay more in eventual prison costs anyway ...

We need more centres for young moms, more centres for youths, more activities, more education!

Spend the money to prevent not cure!

The fundamental issue with our government system is that it is all based on what can be done NOW, now wins votes now... Forethought and long term plans are overlooked as the government changes to often!

Apparently there is now a petition to remove offenders benefits https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/7337
Who comes up with these things ...

I love this bit

No tax payer should have to contribute to those who have destroyed property, stolen from their community and shown a disregard for the country that provides for them.

Who or what do try think pays for our prison system?

The word is rehabilitation people! More segregation isn't going to help is it??

Take away te benefits and we will pay more in eventual prison costs anyway ...

We need more centres for young moms, more centres for youths, more activities, more education!

Spend the money to prevent not cure!

The fundamental issue with our government system is that it is all based on what can be done NOW, now wins votes now... Forethought and long term plans are overlooked as the government changes to often!

Back