RIP Johnny Winter

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
If I heard Johnny Winter for the first time today, I doubt if I would really get into him, but he caught me when I was at a very influential age: 14. His guitar playing pushed me to buy my first guitar, which I did an early-morning paper round before school to save up for. Cost me £12. That started me on a road that had me cross the globe playing music, which helped me meet my wife, and then raise an amazing daughter. Wow, I never thought of that before!

Anyway, Johnny Winter died today, aged 70. He was long past his best, yet still toured. I've felt really sad all day, and have been listening to his recordings, watching videos.

He was a striking figure, for sure, and photographers couldn't fail to be attracted to him. I just culled these from Google Images:

Jimi Hendrix was happy to play bass for him...

Jimi and Johnny.jpg
With his iconic Gibson Firebird and plumber's pipe...

johnny-winter-.jpg

Johnny-Winter-Winter-Essentials-2003-Front-Cover-61041.jpg JW.jpg

With his National Steel guitar:

JW National.jpg

And with his hero, Muddy Waters:

muddy-waters-johnny-winter.jpg

Playing his National Steel and slide:

And a ridiculous version of Jumping Jack Flash:

Thanks, Johnny!

[As an aside, why won't the post subject header allow three capital letters in a row? It changed RIP to Rip. I should have written R.I.P. I suppose.]

was he not a twin? i'm sure there were two gentlemen with an equally striking look

His older brother is Edgar Winter, another good player and still with us as far as I know. Both he and Johnny had albinism.
He was also of my time but I could not say I was a fan.
RIP Johnny.

A very moving tribute Rob, thanks.

I read about this on the BBC last night. I am more familiar with his brother's work than his (I have a copy of White Trash somewhere) but that is some fine playing on the video.

I just tried with dots in the title and that didn't work either. Maybe it is time to think about giving up on the capitals suppression in the titles @Hamish Gill

Back