Rob's Status

Update. After six weeks in Intensive Care, I’ve been told I’m about halfway through my time. However, the second half will be very different, as most of it will be spent in rehab, preparing to be sent home. I’m not there (rehab) yet, but am likely to be in a week to ten days. I still can’t swallow, so will have extensive rehab on eating. I can get by for a while without a ventilator, not nearly as long as I would hope to. And with the aid of a valve in my throat, can sort of speak for up to five minutes. Lots of rehab to be done in all those areas. Also lost 2.5 stone in weight, with consequent loss in muscle strength. But the main thing is I am on the way home! More rituximab to take as well, the heavy but vital drug, which takes six weeks to kick in. Oh, one of the nurses brought me some roadside grasses and flowers. Brought a tear to my eye!

IMG_2024-07-20-184751.jpeg

As far as I can observe, it really is not only a difficult, but exasperatingly long path that you have been facing for some time, Rob. But I can see that you face it with determination and having objectives in front of you. The small gesture of empathy from one person can sometimes be a great encouragement and recognition, almost a medal. Well deserved.

What a wonderful picture, Rob! It is so dynamic and full of spirit. An icon. I really like that you cultivate and share your experience of this time visually as well, despite the tough experience. Keep up with your storytelling.

Back