Critique Welcomed Riverside Plaza Apartments, Minneapolis

Brian Moore

This complex is also known locally as Little Mogadishu. Spotted these buildings from a distance upon my arrival in Minneapolis. My eye was attracted by the height of the buildings and their multi-colored panels. Had a good walk early the next morning and found myself quite nearby, so I was able to get a few shots.

Sigma DP1 Merrill

Talk about being boxed in. They do look like stacked boxes, the full window emphasising that. They make a pleasing artistic abstraction for the eye, but I'm not sure I would enjoy living there. But maybe I would. Good views, I imagine. Nice thoughtful photo, Brian. The colours are nice.

Talk about being boxed in. They do look like stacked boxes, the full window emphasising that. They make a pleasing artistic abstraction for the eye, but I'm not sure I would enjoy living there. But maybe I would. Good views, I imagine. Nice thoughtful photo, Brian. The colours are nice.
Thanks Rob. I appreciate your comment about the thoughtfulness of the photo. I could have made an image of these apartments from many angles and indeed this image shows just two of the several buildings in the complex. Whether I've made a good picture is debatable. I did put thought into it though. o_O

Well, I don't know what it looks like from other angles but I like the way you have presented it here. An interesting couple of structures taken with a slightly voyeuristic feel. Effective I think.
Thank you, Pete. But what is it that gives you that voyeuristic feel?

I get the feeling that you were standing where you were observing the residents and taking a picture of their dwelling. I'm sure you weren't but that is what sprung to mind. If they were not in the image I don't think that would have occurred to me and I realise that you needed to be that distant to get the building in. It's interesting. If this had been a public building I would have interpreted them as proving a sense of scale etc but given that this is some sort of living district my impression became different. Does that make any sense?

I get the feeling that you were standing where you were observing the residents and taking a picture of their dwelling. I'm sure you weren't but that is what sprung to mind. If they were not in the image I don't think that would have occurred to me and I realise that you needed to be that distant to get the building in. It's interesting. If this had been a public building I would have interpreted them as proving a sense of scale etc but given that this is some sort of living district my impression became different. Does that make any sense?
Yes that makes sense. You're sense was right. I was indeed trying to get the residents in the picture, and for the reason of providing scale. They were school children, by the way. Their school bus arrived shortly after.

Back