Critique Welcomed Studebaker Under Moon and Lamp Light

Brian Moore

An early 50's (I think) Studebaker Champion 4-door sedan. This vehicle was at the time (a few years ago) a daily driver that lived in my neighborhood. On this particular evening I was on a walk with Sadie (my lovely dog, who some RPFr's may remember). The car looked particularly fetching, so I went home and retrieved my Sigma DP1 Merrill (ex-MacKillop) and a tripod and took this picture. It wasn't an easy picture to take; the wind that night was howling! ("Santa Ana" winds,...well-known in Southern California for bringing robust gusts of warm air from the desert and occasionally causing havoc.) Perhaps you can see some "movement" in the trees?

Ah, I remember Sadie well, the RPF mascot. Much missed.

As for the fotie...braw. I love the lights. Was the one on the left really there, or is it a lens reflection of sorts? Not the moon, surely?

What a great image, Brian. The atmosphere that it conveys is just fabulous.
Thanks a lot, Chris. Much appreciated.

Ah, I remember Sadie well, the RPF mascot. Much missed.

As for the fotie...braw. I love the lights. Was the one on the left really there, or is it a lens reflection of sorts? Not the moon, surely?
Thanks Rob. (And thanks for remembering Sadie,...the sweetest dug that ever walked the earth.) And yes,...the one on the left was really there. It is indeed the Moon.

That is a fabulous image, Brian and that touch of movement in the tree seems to add a nice touch of drama somehow. I also love the way the streetlight with its flaring matches the moon. Maybe it is the car or the mixed lighting, but the shot immediately brought the work of Gregory Crewdson to mind. Damn fine.

That is a fabulous image, Brian and that touch of movement in the tree seems to add a nice touch of drama somehow. I also love the way the streetlight with its flaring matches the moon. Maybe it is the car or the mixed lighting, but the shot immediately brought the work of Gregory Crewdson to mind. Damn fine.
Thank you Pete. Looking at it again with your reference to Gregory Crewdson I think I can see what you mean. I think for me it is the light in the window of the house as well as the light reflecting off the car that conjures thoughts of his work. Thanks again, Pete.

Back