Roots

Lesley Jones

Otherwise know as Zooey
I'm still not sure about this one. It was taken not long after I got the Sony and I really didn't know what I was doing. True story - it was my non-working day and I had decided to go to a local beauty spot called High Rocks. I prepared everything the night before and after we finished the animals and my husband set off for work, I loaded up the car and set out. It's a 20 minute drive and I parked up and headed into the area with the best rocks. Eventually I found something interesting and I set up the tripod. I've had a lot of surgery on my right hand and I'm wary of handling the camera, so it took quite a while. Still... I wasn't in any rush. Some time later I was all ready to go and then a family walked through. They checked out my equipment and heaven only knows what they were thinking. I let them make their way up the steps and then...

... I found out that I had forgotten to put the battery back in the camera after charging! So, I packed everything up again, made the trek back to the car and drove home. It must have taken me around an hour and a half before I was back again, feeling very sheepish, but at least I still had the rest of the day ahead of me.

Then the family made their way back down the steps after presumably exploring the entire site and it didn't look as if I had moved an inch... [banghead]

This was taken later that same day and has sat as a DNG file ever since. I had to reverse into a holly bush on the edge of a very long drop to get this. I'm hoping it was worth it. :D

High%20Rocks.jpg

So that would be roughly square then Pete? :D

Yes... you are absolutely right, but I probably won't do anything with it. I re-organised Bridge the other day by hiding all the DNG files. When I started with digital I was under pressure to not fill up the external drive. I saved the OK images as DNG and my favourites as PSDs (I know, I know). I have a load of DNG files to simply open and save as PSDs so I don't forget about them. I didn't actually intend to tinker with this :)

Of course, now I save both DNG and PSD and the latter are always over 300 Mb. The drive still has plenty of space...

I like it as it is, but Pete is smarter/more creative than I am. So......:)

I have also done that same thing with the battery more than once (more than twice too.....). I think it's beautiful!!!!!

Lesley, I enjoyed your writing and this image is superb.
The top section where the rock and the varying ground level does actually give more 3D feel to the frame. :)

Great story Lesley and a fine shot. The strongest part of the image for me though is the exposed roots and I would be tempted to crop it to exclude the trunk altogether leaving just an abstract view of them. What do you think?

lol, i was thinking the same thing..

nicely spotted lesley. great story too, something i've done more than once...

Definitely worth the effort of going back, great story and what do walkers know anyhow?? :D

Yes a fine Photo Lesley, Ive also forgot the battery. I now have a routine, I charge the battery every time I take the card out to transfer the pics to the computer. I then leave the camera next too the charger, so if I pick the camera up to use I will see the battery. Worked so far.
I think the pic is great and a great subject for further exploration if you are there again sometime.

Back