Scanner Test Epsom V370

Martin Carlin

Well as you well may know I have not been happy with my scanning of images so I thought I would run a test to see if I could figure out the best setting for my Epsom V370.
I have Just scanned the negatives and imported them into Lightroom and made some basic adjustments in Lightroom to each photo.
Lightroom Adjustments
Constrast +47
Highlight -39
Shadow +40
Whites +13
Blacks -42
Clarity +25

All images scanned at Max DPI 12800

First Image No scanner Adjustments
Max_DPI_001.jpg

Second Image ticked Grain reduction and Dust removal

Max_DPI_DR+GR001.jpg

Third Image Unsharp maskMax_DPI+UM001.jpg

Know I'm Blind as a bat but I see no difference in them and if anything I think the one with nothing done to it looks better what do you guys think?

I agree - he's definitely having us on!

I can't see any difference either. Not sure I'd use grain reduction unless it was really intrusive and would only use dust removal if the negative was very dusty anyway. I tend to sharpen in post, rather than during a scan and only occasionally use input sharpening anyway.

Are you using the Epson software?

It might also be that the post adjustments you are using are overwhelming anything done during scanning. Can you see differences in the straight scans?
No thats the thing Pete. I know its not a great scanner but its what have and as I just back to film I thought I would try it out but looks like I will be buying a new one for film any recommendations Pete?

Last edited:
Years ago I used to use a Minolta Dimage 35mm scanner at work. The problem was that it had a SCSCI interface and then we couldn't get a driver. It worked well except with Kodachrome. It only did 35mm and I started to have a need to scan 120 film / transparencies and so bought a Nikon 8000ED. I still use that here in Germany and have the later, 9000ED in the UK. Superb scanners, but not the cheapest, even S/H. I have a friend who uses a Minolata Scan Multi and that gives good results, again up to 120 film. The Scan Dual (if you are OK with 35mm only) is also supposed to be very good and seems to be available for a reasonable price on eBay etc and is supported by VueScan under both Windows and OS X. We use Silverfast Studio (superb quality, but a bit quirky and fairly pricy - but often bundled in its base form).

For LF and reflective scans I use a Microtek 1000XL (a3 scanner) in Germany and we have Microtek and Epson Scanners (V750 Pro and V850 Pro) in the UK. All give excellent results and are driven by Silverfast.

I'd expect better scans than that from a V370 but perhaps not close to a dedicated 35mm scanners, The V750 doesn't do a bad job with 35mm but then it's considerably more expensive compared to the V370.

With my V750 I use the Epson software and Silverlight and both are capable of high quality results. It's difficult without seeing the actual negatives but there may be a sharpness issue to start with that scanning or optical printing won't resolve.

Ian

Well I have come to a conclusion on the scanner and I believe it to be user error (as usual in my case) I think Ive been using too High resolution so have dropped the resolution down to 3200 and images seem a lot sharper. also turned off the back light compensation. Thanks Ian still need to get a new scanner that will do medium format.DPI_3200__(1_of_1).jpg

Martin I have been using an Epson Perfection V500 for a couple of years now. I'm very happy with it. It's a flatbed scanner. It does 35mm (including slides in their little cases) and medium format. It's not too expensive. There are a couple of things I don't like about it: the negative holder for 35mm is flimsy. Also, with medium format it is unable to frame the images automatically in preview mode. However, I live with these issues because that scanner does a decent job at a price that was right.

Thanks Brian and Pete I just picked up a New Epson perfection V600 hopefully I will be happy with it. Nearly bought the V750 or V800 but a £600+ could not justify the price tag on these. Reading the specs theres not a lot of difference between them so made the decision to go with the cheaper 600. Should arrive this morning so Think I may be busy for the next day or so rescanning my films.

I was lucky at Focus on Imaging a couple of years ago Epson had a deal with one of their retailers and there was a considerable discount off the V750 (and probably other scanners & printers) if you bought one at the show.

Unless you are using large format then the V750 etc are overkill, I use mine though to scan 10x8 negatives, and also 7x5, as well as smaller sizes like 5x4 and various 120 formats and of course 35mm.

Have fun when the scanner arrives Martin :D

Ian

Back