Scottish Independence March, 5 October 2015

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
There seems to be a lot of marching going on these days, which I suppose is a sign of the times. But I have to say - despite there being almost ZERO on the main news channels in the UK, this was by far the biggest gathering I've ever witnessed. I would say easily 200,000 people in the rain, a great camaraderie all round, save when the British National Party - or whatever they're called these days - tried to cause trouble. But they were so hopelessly outnumbered, they just got laughed at.

So, another jaunt with the Leica Monochrom, and this time I thought I'd experiment with high contrast. A bit on the dark side, but sometimes I really like the effect, sometimes I'm not so sure, but it does give a unified look to the whole.

The full 30 or so shots can be viewed in a Flickr album here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/robmac1/albums/72157711203051782

dug.jpg duo.jpg Thatcher.jpg Yes.jpg Yes2.jpg wheen 3.jpg smile.jpg pole.jpg pipers5.jpg

That is a fine set of images. The high contrast works very well, gives then a dramatic look. I do like the massed crowd scenes, reminds me of armies marching in historical movies. The last one is great, simple but very effective.

Love the drummer with "still hate thatcher" on the drum, reminded me of the typefaces used on posters from the punk rock days. That got me thinking, has there ever been a punk band with bagpipes? Yes, found "The Real McKenzies" and "The Dropkick Murphys" on YouTube - good stuff!

Cheers, Dave. Yes, the pipes have been used in everything from punk to jazz to classical music. Very versatile.

It was a dreich day, and the high contrast has captured some of that feeling.

Sorry for commenting off topic, Rob!

They are too contrasty for my liking, in combination with the busy scenes. I think, don't know. But I really like the last one.

Yes, I saw the program. It was the only mention of it I saw on TV. I'm shocked but not really surprised how it is being belittled in the Scottish unionist press, who are saying there was only a few thousand people there. A friend of mine watched it from a fixed position, and said it took three hours to pass him. Ah well, we are where we are.

I like the use of high contrast here, Rob and I think the way it draws out certain faces and highlights works well with such busy scenes. And in those where there is no actual focus point it is the flags that grab the attention and highlight the event. A cracking set.

Back