Sensory Isolation

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Just a technique I use when shooting, to get myself into a different state of mind.

I go out with the camera, and also my iPod or iPhone and headphones.

iphone-headphones.jpg

When I get to my chosen shooting location - I fire up the music, put the ear buds in, and wander around listening to the music, and shooting photos.

I've disassociated myself from my surroundings with the music, and allowed myself to focus on the imagery only.

I'm in my own photographic world :)

That's a cracking idea ...
I love walking around listening to music, i often get in this odd world where i imagine everything as a music video im a part of ... id never thought to combine that with photo taking

Does it make you more likely to point the camera at random people than you would do otherwise? Does it make you more disassociated from a certain social reality? Is that a good thing?

Me, I can't do two things at once...

I do the opposite, i'm surrounded by music all the time so when i go out on a shoot I leave the music in the car.... it's only me and the landscape and nothing in between

Spot on chris!
That's exactly what I do.
When i'm on my own taking photos with music in my ears, it has such a interesting method of spontaneous inspiration.
I almost adapt to the music that's currently playing, without even knowing it. It's very much like working out/walking/hiking/exploring (for those who) and how you comfortably and seruptiously forget your surroundings, what your doing, thinking, and executing shots that feel relevant in your own mind to that very track your listening to.
Chris, I'm glad your the first person to mention it, otherwise people wouldn't bare the weirdness that regularly protrude.
The truth is though chris, your just as weird as me aren't you!?! :D:D:D
But really guys, on a serious note, checklist for a photogadventure.... Camera and music! Nothing I could want more.
Speaking of music.... Chris, have you sorted me out any recommendations yet? :p

Last edited:
Back