Shipwreck on Zante Island, Greece

Paul Lange

ShipwreckPano.jpg

Hi Guys, as you might have guessed I've been on holiday to Greece. Like the changes to the site by the way Hamish, glad its all taking off.

Any comments welcome on this as I both like this, due to the unusual composition and dislike it, due to the unusual composition.

I was on a high vantage point close to sunset as I don't have a wide angle lens yet had to stitch 3 shots together in Photoshop hence the long format.

All three shots were taking at f11 at 1/125 sec at ISO100. Unfortunately I didn't have a tripod with me so not quite as sharp as it could have possibly been.

KampiPano1.jpg

This is another pano stitched together from about 7 pics. It was taken at early afternoon so very bright and again no tripod. I wish I took the tripod now as I can see how things would have been sharper with it.

I added a blue gradient filter across the top and dodged and burned various parts of the bushes and trees to try to give a bit more depth to the picture. Again any comments welcome.

I like the 1st one, it has nice colours although the ship wreck is rather small but it does look rather difficult to get down there for a close up. I would have like to have seen a little more of the rocks that jut out into the med, but judging by the sun on the water this maybe was not an option.

this has made me want to go away again, but thats not going to happen for a while yet:(

Cheers,

It is an odd one... I like it and don't for exactly the same reason :)

I like the blue grad, it's sorta makes a distance haze... Or is that distance haze!

Yeah, second one, it looks ok to me... The only bit that looks odd to me is the top right looks more grey/brown..
Anyway sorry to cut you off for my dinner :)

Hi Guys,
I was in Zakynthos (aka Zante) myself a couple of years or so ago and took the same photos from the same postions, exactly the same for the first one as Paul will I'm sure accept :eek: . I don't know about you Paul but I did not feel very comfortable at all photographing the shipwreck with just a bit of plate and a couple of small girders (assembled by a local 'engineer') between me and a very long drop :eek: .
The site of the second pic, when I was there, the weather was very different with low cloud rolling out over the cliffs from the right. The main thing I remember from that site was the frequent piles of human excrement around, as if they'd had some sort of gathering there for lots of people but without any toilets - hopefully it was a little cleaner when Paul was there :) . Sorry if that's too much information :D :D .
I'll see if I can dig out my snaps and post them in the next day or so, not for professional comparison note, just a different take on the same shots.
Cheers,
Dave.

No poo this time, they must have cleaned things up after a few complaints. It will be interesting to see the pics Dave. Did you use a wide angle lens? I had to stitch photos together but I think the shots would be much better with a wide angle.

Oh dear !!

No poo this time, they must have cleaned things up after a few complaints. It will be interesting to see the pics Dave. Did you use a wide angle lens? I had to stitch photos together but I think the shots would be much better with a wide angle.

Confession time guys :eek: - I've spent some time this weekend searching for and not finding, my Zante shipwreck pics so I'm going to have to withdraw as gracefully as possible :mad: . I will keep looking though but I fear the worst - sorry.
Dave.

Confession time guys :eek: - I've spent some time this weekend searching for and not finding, my Zante shipwreck pics so I'm going to have to withdraw as gracefully as possible :mad: . I will keep looking though but I fear the worst - sorry.
Dave.
Hi Guys,
I've been re-organising my pics over the last few days and have found the Zante pics to which I refer above. I plan to post them tomorrow for the sole purpose of showing similar shots taken under different weather conditions.
Cheers,
Dave.

Hi Guys,
I've been re-organising my pics over the last few days and have found the Zante pics to which I refer above. I plan to post them tomorrow for the sole purpose of showing similar shots taken under different weather conditions.
Cheers,
Dave.

As promised (threatened) above here are my pics that I couldn't find when they might have been useful but might now serve to close the loop on this or start the discussion rolling again.
DSCF1378.jpg

DSCF1358.jpg

Hope someone finds 'em of interest.
Dave.

That's weird Dave, shots from almost the same places as mine. Or maybe not, the island is quite small after all.

Hi Paul,
Glad you found 'em of interest. Perhaps not surprising that the shipwreck pics are similar - as I understand it you're not allowed off the island unless you photographed the shipwreck ;) , but that doesn't explain the similarity of the second pic - different weather but the same spot in the same location I'd bet money on it! (and no poo!:eek:)
I hesitate to suggest it's the photographer's eye for a picture 'cos I'm not sure I qualify :D .
Dave.

Back