Eclipsed, abstracted, observed and washed away

Len Philpot

We went to Arkansas last week for the eclipse and a little post-eclipse relaxing in the mountains. I took a few shots, but nothing too significant.

This was the main event, ostensibly. However, it was just as much for me an excuse to get away from home.

IMG_4783-social.jpg

While waiting for Sol to do his thing (or was it Lune?) I thought this looked interesting in an abstract manner. Color or B&W?

IMG_4765-color-social.jpg

IMG_4765-BW-social.jpg

Well, you were warned about looking at the eclipsed sun (but we'll keep an eye on you)...

IMG_4767-social.jpg

And finally, something that should've been better but ... well, let's just say I went B&W here due to some color "imperfections" that B&W kinda covered! This is Natural Bridge falls in Lost Valley State Park at Ponca, Arkansas. The midday high-contrast light didn't help any...

IMG_4864-social.jpg

Nice job on the eclipse, Len. The B&W waterfall is nice, too; the water isn't too "milky" for my taste. (I was in Monument Valley and Arches National Park last week. I shot several roles of B&W film. I hope a few turn out.)

Nice job on the eclipse, Len. The B&W waterfall is nice, too; the water isn't too "milky" for my taste.
Thanks.

I generally like about 1/6 second for the waterfalls I've shot (although it varies by water speed). I've seen some very silken-smooth waterfall shots that worked well, but generally they were otherwise pretty stylized so the abstraction of the water "fit". Generally I like to see motion but with texture.

It was full of stuff like that
OK, gotcha. Sometimes I will drag whatever all the way one way and the other to see the extremes before I commit to a change. It does look like you were trying to adjust the highlights..

Back