Rollei 35 Roll #2

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
I found a roll of FujiFilm Superior 200 print film in my cupboard - just 6 months away from expiration, so I figured I may as well throw it in the Rollei and then do a dunk and scan at CostCo to get the images back.

Took the Rollei with me on a walk at lunchtime, along the seafront at Oceanside - lovely day, blue skies and temps in he upper 60s - god I hate winter! :D

Exposure was set using the built-in meter - and given that it was F-Sunny, I went with 1/500 at f/11 ISO200 for all shots - easy!

Dropped it into CostCo on the way back - they are the only 1 hour place left near me - all the others have gone.

Back in an hour and my CD and negs were ready - contact print looked positive.

So here we go - may I just say that CostCo scans are dreadful when compared to the pro scans I've been getting, but they are cheap at $8, and fast - but I won't be going back as I feel the effort of taking the shots is wasted by a poor end result.

8430540213_67ba71bee0_c.jpg

ESCUE

8431624892_2e22a9a978_b.jpg

Watching You for 25c (Minimum focus distance test)

8430540743_b74302cc5f_b.jpg

Mailboxes (PP in NIK Color FX)

8431625166_3c3a71232f_b.jpg

Piggy in the Middle

8430541079_db6ef278c2_c.jpg

Retirement Paradise

8431625652_a299e5cc12_b.jpg

Three Five (Or 35 for Rollei 35)

8431625758_2b909e3f67_b.jpg

The Three Bears

In-camera exposure was cock-on - Lens sharpness better at f/11 - contrast etc good as gar as I can tell from the butchered scans.

The hood I added to the camera did a nice job - as did the small soft release, which made the camera easier to use (for me any way)

I tried some from the hip street shooting, and got in focus people, but mostly with half of them out of frame :(

The 40mm lens is rather long for street, and I haven't got my visualization and distances dialed in yet - zone focus shows promise though - but the 1/500 max shutter speed will be an issue for covert shooting as you still get some movement blur from holding the camera as you walk.

I will try again with some B&W I think

Last edited:
Nice shots and those are some sharp images :D

Really like the textures. Particularly like 2 & 6. Colours and comp are great.

Sorry to hear about your struggle with winter. :mad:

I'll go shovel some snow now...

$8 is cheap is it?
What do pro scans cost and what sort of res are they... Just interested to compare against what I get ...

These are nice Chris, especially the 3 5 photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice shots and those are some sharp images :D

Thanks David - when I looked at the DOF scale on the Tessar lens, pretty much everything from 10ft to Infinity is in focus at f/11!

- - - Updated - - -

A dame fine set for a lunchtime stroll Chris. And I like the colours a lot. A fine set of post boxes you caught there too. :)

Thanks Pete, I did walk four miles - so I had plenty to look at! :D

The mailbox shot nearly got me in trouble - there was someone inside that room looking out the window, and they spotted me shooting - I got a 'what are you doing?' shout

- - - Updated - - -

with the exception of the nuclear glow on the palm tree in #5 (guessing from the sharpening after scanning?) wonderful series. great tones, colors and, of course, comps. love numbers 2, 3, 4 and 6.

Thanks Beth - the glow was already there to some extent on the scan, but post processing really lit it up!

There's also terrible banding in the skies for that frame and others - as I said, low quality scans are cheap

- - - Updated - - -

Really like the textures. Particularly like 2 & 6. Colours and comp are great.

Sorry to hear about your struggle with winter. :mad:

I'll go shovel some snow now...

Thanks Stephen - what is this 'snow' you mentioned? :D

- - - Updated - - -

$8 is cheap is it?
What do pro scans cost and what sort of res are they... Just interested to compare against what I get ...

These are nice Chris, especially the 3 5 photo.

Thanks Hamish - the 'enhanced' scan at the pro lab is 3339x5035 pixels for 35mm and is $12 a roll plus dev cost - making a total with tax of around $20. (varies a little depending on B&W, color, slide film)

The 6x9 enhanced scan is 4815x7588 pixels

This is the same lab that the infamous Ken Rockwell uses for his scans - http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/2008-09-new-2h.htm

Just happens to be a few miles from home - very handy!

That's a lot of cash though eh ...
My "pro" scans are not that high res, and I get a little bit of dust on the last couple of frames ... But they are a good res ... £2 with a cd

Aaaahhhh I found a great rockwellism in that link

Even with the old D3 and D300, it's faster for me to select these in the menus than to jerk it around in raw. I never shoot raw, except once every six months to remind myself of what a pain it is, and how it looks the same or worse than JPG.

supurb!

That's a lot of cash though eh ...
My "pro" scans are not that high res, and I get a little bit of dust on the last couple of frames ... But they are a good res ... £2 with a cd

Bargain Hamish - they've been looking sharp

Not worth breaking out he home chemicals for two quid

Back