Should you even take a camera on holiday?

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
This article appeared on the BBC News Website today - it poses some interesting questions about society and modern (digital) photography.

_69001755_monalisa.jpg

Visit any beautiful or historic site and the crowds of people taking photos are denser than ever. Should you ditch the camera completely when going on your hols, asks Finlo Rohrer.

Wandering around the Istanbul Archaeological Museum I chanced upon a woman carefully moving around a room full of clay tablets of Akkadian cuneiform.

Taking pictures of every single one.

She was not an archaeologist or a museum official - just an ordinary tourist. Now, as examples of early writing go, Akkadian cuneiform clay tablets are up there. But who was she going to show this extraordinary series of snaps to?

"And here's a brown tablet with indecipherable marks on it. And here's another. Look at the scratches on this one..."

If she really wanted a comprehensive set, the museum had surely already had them done by a professional. Or perhaps this snapper just liked a challenge. The museum has 74,000 tablets of this kind.

It all seems to be part of the mania that has turned everyone into archivists.

"The quest to photograph has become a substitute for the experience itself," says Sophie Grove, of Monocle magazine. "This quest to catalogue and archive your holiday - it's almost irresistible when you're there with your exciting new camera," she told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

With their constant snapping, people are diminishing their memories, she suggests. "By producing a camera, suddenly you are once removed from the scene."

Documentary photographer Martin Parr advocates a change of mindset. "Try and think of things that are ephemeral and will change. When you are eating, photograph the meal, if you are going out to the supermarket, photograph that as well."

The ultimate argument against photographing most things on holiday is that someone else has already done a better job. "We've seen what the Taj Mahal is like," Parr notes. "The reality is when you get there there's another 500 people trying to photograph it as well."

And do you really want to be in a crowd of people - ignoring a security guard's plaintive bleating - and slowly destroying a famous fresco with a thousand flashes?

BBC News - Should you even take a camera on holiday?

The solution is quite simple - up to 36 shots per roll :)

Interesting. I tend to not take a camera...or pictures when I'm with other people or when there are hoards of people taking pictures. My wife and I set aside specific days during holiday to carry a camera. Otherwise...we observe and talk about what we see. Cameras can get in the way.

The odd thing about this is that people don't see what they are supposed to, all they see is a digital representation of it. Experience is all about being there, seeing it, doing it not looking at a recording of it. This is probably why I have few images of places I've been to...

This is the digital age and everyone can now capture that moment.......

...in my opinion this is what is devaluing photography.....

A snapshot is important to many people because it memorializes a place or event. It is evidence that you were there. A friend and I went to Las Vegas a decade ago, and he kept asking if I wanted him to take a picture of me there. I kept asking him "Why?"

Eventually he came up with "To show you were here." I asked, "Why would I need to?" It took some time, but he eventually got it. I was there as a photographer, not a tourist. It is all about constantly building my stock of images. In spite of them being shot with an early 5MP camera, I recently got an order from the State of Nevada for four 8×10 prints that are now in an interpretive centre near Laughlin. This is somewhat remarkable, because they could have stepped out their door and shot them, or hired a local guy with a state-of-the-art 2013 high-resolution camera. Instead, they tapped the stock of a Canadian 2,400 km away, shot with 2002 technology. I take every opportunity that comes along to travel, and when I do, I shoot.

Laughlin and beyond

I have been living in this same location for nearly a quarter of a century, so have shot it pretty much every way possible. At home, most of my photography now, is chronicling the lives of a specific group of friends, and the lives of a family—on-going projects. I never do set-up shots, and try to keep the camera as invisible as possible. I use ambient light and on rare occasions, fill-flash.
AmiCUE on X-Pro1
Campion Family Photos

I also do street—this was shot on Canada Day this year, July 1.

Canada Day 2013?A Celebration of our Diversity

I ALWAYS have a camera with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a lot of people snap on their smartphones these days, so that they can post on Facebook etc and show their friends where they are and what they're up to.

Then of course you have the 'digital is free' effect - so there's no cost barrier to shooting everything.

And you can edit in the hotel room, rather than in your head before you shoot.

As David mentioned - when you only had 36 frames, you probably thought a lot more before pressing that shutter - and you had a limited number of rolls available to you, and they would cost you money to process and print.

That's a double edged sword - you may have selected better pictures because of the limitation - or you might just have missed some great shots...

I visited the Getty Center a few weeks ago. I mentioned in a post shortly after that I had taken my Mamiya TLR. 12 images out of a roll. I also took my (ex-Hamish) Minox 35GT in my pocket. I believe I mentioned previously that it was so refreshing--in a strange way, even liberating--to concentrate only on getting a few images. I loved it.

I'm with Larry on this question of taking cameras on holiday. I don't need pictures of me there to prove I was there, and I don't need pictures of every damn thing from every damn angle. But I want to walk away from wherever I am with some images of stuff that struck my fancy to shoot, and with luck I might get a few good 'uns. That's the fun for me right there.

I experienced this in the British Museum. I couldn't believe how many people were taking photos of exhibits ... I was more interested in taking photos of the people interacting with the place ... Although i think I only took around 5 photos in there.

Inside the British Museum by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

I took more in the tate modern... maybe I was inspired by the art to be an artist ... or maybe so much of it was so shite i just wanted something else to do ;)

Inside the Tate Modern by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

The fun for me is also capturing a few images of places or people that I am happy with ... It just adds to whatever experience I am having. I used to get panicked and feel like I had to get the best possible shot of the most amount of things ... nowadays, I have a much more relaxed approach ... if i get a shot I like, bonus, if not, never mind, there is always next time!

Has the Digital effect made it better or worse I think yes we ALL take more now than when we had to use film is that good or bad you can make arguements for both viewpoints and really there is no right answer until you get to proffesional level ie those who can make a living from it then yes I think the quality of some does leave a lot to be desired. My niece got married a few weeks ago and the "professional photographer" could have spoiled her day if we hadnt all been happily snapping away as the "proper" wedding photos were dreadful I think out of the shots he took (he supplied them on disk) we used one for her wedding album after I had dealt with it in both lightroom and photoshop so digital saved her big day (i think approx 60 of mine ended up in the wedding album) The scene at the louvre which is the header picture on this is misleading as well I was looking at some photo's me and Rosemary my first wife took at the Louvre back in the late 70's early 80's (school trip)tell the same tale just the equipments different we all had our instamatics and the scene was exactly the same I agree with Kev you do need to be there for the proper experience but if your taking photo's for the memorys does it really matter film or digital

Last edited:
Workflow is habitual. Making the transition from film to digital was pretty much seamless. I still pick my shots with the same care as I did a decade and a half back. If anything, the ratio of exposures to keepers has improved with digital. No longer is there a need for insurance shots. I can quickly narrow in on the composition I am after, and via the monitor, I know I have it.

Specially when shooting a cranky film like Kodachrome, I did a lot of bracketing to be sure I had an ideal exposure for projection and another for publication. A third of a stop could make the difference, since Kodachrome had almost no latitude. A glance at the histogram tells me how much exposure compensation is needed for perfect exposure every time. With the D700, test shots are needed, but the X-Pro1 and X100 shows the histogram in the viewfinder, with the EC knob under the thumb. I can dial in perfect exposure without taking my eye from the finder.

With zeros and ones being almost free, on a given shoot, I will probably do more intense coverage of the content—also leading to more keepers and giving me more opportunity to refine the coverage. Thus better content. Without the time and expense of film, I am more inclined to push the edge, shooting in light I would hesitate to shoot in with film. I am also more inclined to experiment, also pushing the edge. For me, digital has made every aspect of photography much better.

Back