Somerset Stages 2011

Alastair Cummins

My last rally for a while now with car tax and MOT coming up amongst other things :(

Rally winner Hugh Hunter was driving like he stole it all day!

Hugh Hunter Croydon 1 Somerset Stages 2011 1 by Allyc85, on Flickr

Hugh Hunter Croydon 2 Somerset Stages 2011 2 by Allyc85, on Flickr

As was David Wright!

David Wright Croydon 2 Somerset Stages 2011 by Allyc85, on Flickr

Paul Bird did well on his first attempt at the rally getting P4.

Paul Bird Croydon 2 Somerset Stages 2011 2 by Allyc85, on Flickr

While Tom Naughton was all over the road at times!

Tom Naughton Croydon 1 Somerset Stages 2011 1 by Allyc85, on Flickr

Tom Naughton Croydon 1 Somerset Stages 2011 3 by Allyc85, on Flickr

It was an awesome days rallying with the top 3 on the same time after 9 of 11 stages, and finishing 11 seconds apart :D

number 2,3&4 ... really good, love the action, the churned up dust ... especially the red evo, the movement of the dust over the bonnet and it creating a backdrop to the whole image ... v good stuff!

Shots 2 & 3 are my fave's, great shots.

Cheers, that Evo shot is one of my favourite ones ive ever taken and il be getting it framed at some point. I also like the second Hugh Hunter pic with the dust all over the bonnet, but that tw*t stood next to it really pees me off as its well beyond my photoshop skills to remove him!

I did post some of my pics on the British Rally forum, but didnt get much feedback apart from one co-driver asking for a copy of this pic.

Julian Wilks Porlock 2 Somerset Stages 2011 2 by Allyc85, on Flickr

Action shots are well beyond my comfort zone at the moment, but no# 2 is out of this world!! What a cracker!!

Well done on the publication Alastair...

Love the red dust in the shots and how it gives a feeling of speed and action - nice job picking the location, and capturing great light as well.

And top marks for getting published :)

Just had one of the drivers contact me about using a couple pictures from this rally for their website and wondering if I charge for pictures! I was thinking of maybe asking for £5 a picture but I really dont know if thats too much or too little, especially as I dont have my own site or company at the moment.

Alistair, here's my generic pricing from motorsports events where I've taken shots and then sold them files & prints - it's been well received and I've felt that the return was worth my time on the computer etc:

Hi xxx,

I got some good shots of you and your xxx during the weekend.

I've attached your x contact sheets for review - each image has a unique number, so they are easy to identify when selecting prints and enlargements.

I've also attached a larger sample image so that you can get an idea of final image quality.

Prices are:

$20 - 8x12 - Fuji Crystal Glossy Print - Plus mail/packing (Rigid Photo Mailer)
$40 - 12x18 - Fuji Crystal Glossy Print - Plus mail/packing (Photo Tube)
$60 - CD of all digital Image Files (TIFF or JPEG) - Plus mail/packing (Rigid CD Mailer)

Let me if anything is of interest, and I'll let you know the postage/packing and the total for any order.

Many thanks,

Chris.

Cheers for the info mate, ive also had a look around a few other sites and decided to double what I was going to charge and asked for £10 an image. I think I under estimate myself sometimes, but then on the other hand I dont want them to go looking elsewhere for images that are getting easier to get hold of.

Ive 3 of the driver from the rally, this being one of them.

Sara Williams Croydon 2 Somerset Stages 2011 1 by Allyc85, on Flickr

Last edited:
Good job - if you can build a rapport with one or more, you can offer them coverage for the next event you attend - and set it up ahead of time - i.e. I'll be attending xyz rally on the abc date, and can provide images of your car.

You then then get into better pricing, maybe access to the car in staging/maintenance, maybe even get them to provide you a letter saying you're providing images for the team/sponsors and you could hit up the rally organizers for a press pass based on that.

Which reminds me - worth asking them for contact details for the sponsors of each car - so you can reach out direct and do a deal for images that show their logo(s).

Sponsors love such shots for the office, the website, the newsletter etc, and are always after publicizing the money they've put into a team.

Back