Sony a7 experience?

Brian Moore

I travel a bit for work and take pictures when I can. Mostly I've been concentrating on architectural images. Mostly I've been using my ex-McKillop Sigma DP1 Merrill, which has a fairly wide angle lens (19mm, which with the crop factor calculates to a roughly 28mm equivalent in full frame.)

Lately I've been thinking about purchasing a used Sony a7 or a7R. Reasons:
  • Size
  • Lens interchangeability
  • Full frame sensor
I saw a thread today that Hamish posted a few years ago announcing his intent to go to Sony, so I'll probably reach out to him to get his experiences. But for now, does anyone on RPF have any experiences with the a7 series that they'd care to share?

i've played a little with a friend's sony. they're nice, sharp, fast focusing little rockets with absolutely no soul. it'll do anything you want except make you fall in love with it.
That's interesting Beth. I get it. Despite a camera's ability to capture an image you need to have a warm feeling for it to want to use it. Thanks for the feedback.

as a walkaround or travel camera it would be great. it wouldn't be my main camera.
I seem hell-bent on getting one at this point, Beth. I've rationalized (somewhat logically) that the combination of small size, full frame, and many lens interchangeability is a necessity in my life for travel. I'm doomed to get one I fear.o_O

I seem hell-bent on getting one at this point, Beth. I've rationalized (somewhat logically) that the combination of small size, full frame, and many lens interchangeability is a necessity in my life for travel. I'm doomed to get one I fear.o_O
it's a very nice piece of kit and it does have a great lens selection and lots of features. i've wrestled with the sony dilemma myself, but size wasn't a big factor for me so i went with other options.

Back