Just for Show Sony Nex5n / canon 200mm f2.8

Julian de'Courcy

I enjoy this lens a lot, often using it for landscapes. Here I set it onto a sony nex5n and did a portrait. Not much post work. Yes it is a bit over sharpened yet it demonstrated to me, what the sony nex can do with natural window light, using a good lens. The only E fit lenses I have are the two kit ones. 16mm /18-55. both being ok but nothing special.

DSC00098 by JuliandeCourcy, on Flickr

Yes the nex cameras do have quite a good reputation . Some of this may well be to do with the peek focusing which does help the manual focus lens. It is not the easiest way to use this camera and I personally find focusing a bit hit and miss. The sensor in the 5n has a very good reputation and most of the time it is ok but when it does foul up it does so in a big way.

That's a wonderful portrait!
Really lovely tones!
And very sharp!
Have you played much with the video on the 5n? I'm intrigued to know the quality of its output...

That's a wonderful portrait!
Really lovely tones!
And very sharp!
Have you played much with the video on the 5n? I'm intrigued to know the quality of its output...

Hi Hamish, thanks for the kind comments. I cannot really comment on the video with any authority at all. It is something I do mean to try out at some point. It is a very annoying thing with the 5n in that the video button is often pressed by mistake. I have many times been taking picture to find I have taken ten minute of black video not aware that it is recording with the lens cap on.

This might help with the unwanted video problem.

The Sony NEX 7, Redneck Edition

:)
Thanks Pete , new read for me. They also highlight the file directories set up and I clearly remember the first occasion when after the camera shooting black video of my lens cap, I initially thought all my Raw file had disappeared. Took me a while to find them again and as said in the article, how you find them through the menu is beyond me, so the short cut is to take another pic to get you back to where you once began.

again thanks.

I love that portrait. Mind you, you could've shot it on a Canon!!

I bought a NEX-7 (I know I didn't need it!) 3 days ago. Playing with it.

Back