Speed panning shots

Wow, this panning business really works!

SpeedySnail.jpg

LMAO! .

Hi All,

Here's a proper panning shot These are the former bronze medal, same-sex ballroom dancing champions (well, it's a sport but I guess not many of you knew it existed!). These guys are both over 2 m tall and are professional ballroom dancers. And, they were moving pretty quickly I can tell you. Just to make it a bit more difficult this was shot with available light in a ballroom using a Mamiya 7II (that's a MF rangefinder for those of you not familiar with it) loaded with Ilford Delta 400 rated at ISO 400. You get 10 shots on a roll (120 film). It was printed onto Ilform MGIV Gloss paper and toned with Fotospeed Sepia Toner. The final print (16" x 12") was scanned using a Microtek A3 scanner. Because of this, it's slightly cropped.

WaltzerLinks.jpg

Last edited:
I took a photo like this once, but when I put it up on a forum it got panned...

Great write up.

I have to admit my panning technique is very hit and miss, I could really do with a circuit near me to get some constant practise as it can be along time between events lol. Would love to get to a level where I could go to a rally where I may only see a certain car once the whole day and be able to nail a shot showing the speed of not just the car but all the gravel being launched everywhere!

This is probably one of my favourite panning shots with the car sideways and the bumper hanging off :D

DSC_5269-1.jpg

Great write up.

I have to admit my panning technique is very hit and miss, I could really do with a circuit near me to get some constant practise as it can be along time between events lol. Would love to get to a level where I could go to a rally where I may only see a certain car once the whole day and be able to nail a shot showing the speed of not just the car but all the gravel being launched everywhere!

This is probably one of my favourite panning shots with the car sideways and the bumper hanging off :D

DSC_5269-1.jpg

More cooling for the radiator, no problem!

Wouldn't want to be on the end of all that gravel heading towards my camera - how do you go about avoiding being pebble-dashed?

Its just a case of trying to pick a spot where chances of being hit are reduced really and hoping as they literally go everywhere!

The car before this one had launched a rock which hit me in the knee and one a little later went between me and the tog I was next to at chest height.... we moved a little further back after that one!

How did you get on over the weekend! looking forward to seeing some more shots!
Although i suspect they will justify their own thread :)

It was a mixed weekend really, got some good shots but the weekend just didn't feel as good as it did last year. Just about finished processing the images, got to export them, upload them, drop emails to various people etc then I might find 5 minutes to get round to starting a thread :p

Heh, perhaps ... I wish people would remind her I exist sometimes ...
She sends load of work our way, but very little photography stuff ... She always says she has people who do photography for nothing for her ... Damn these filk and their generous behavior!! ;)

Back