storm over jackson hole

Beth Carter

jackson hole is the valley to the east of the teton mountain range, the northern part of jackson hole is the section of grand teton national park where people drive through while looking at the mountains. the southern part of jackson hole includes the town of jackson, wyoming.

this is the view from signal mountain, it's an oddball peak that stands alone between the two park roads, the only one that does so. from the top of the mountain you get a good view of the valley looking east, away from the teton range. the trees obscure the view looking west of jackson lake and the mountain range.

the river on the left is the snake river, where ansel adams made some photos that went viral on whatever social media platform they used back then. i believe the mountains are in the wind river range in the bridger-teton national forest and the storm/downpour is over the gros ventre range.

36815333463_608c2ddf35_b.jpg

I totally agree with the young man up above here and I am afraid I did not find this view while I stayed in Jackson, very well done Beth and told.

thanks everyone. this is really two shots, the forest in the foreground and the background & sky. lighting conditions were pretty tricky that day, but the sky was pretty close to how i remember it.

@Ivar D. Larsen this view is pretty easy to find if you ever make it back to jackson. it's on teton park rd inside the park. head to the northern most quarter of the roadway and read the signs until you find signal mountain. it's on the east side of the roadway. it's pretty close to a small chapel, not the popular chapel, the other one that nobody remembers. the roadway up signal mountain winds around the mountain for awhile and brings you to a parking area and this spectacular view on top. no hiking required.

Back