Critique Welcomed Streetwalkers Revisited

Interesting idea although I'm not sure that you ought to be taking shots while stopped at a light. Conceptually: interesting. Execution: needs some culling. The over-exposed shots where people's faces are totally blown could go, so could the blurry ones. Just my 2 cents.

@Brian Moore, nice project! You asked for a critique, but I am in no position to complete the task. I am sorry.
Thank you. I always put "Critique Welcomed," Gianluca. I'm not necessarily asking for a critique, I'm really just hoping people will feel comfortable saying what they think, or not saying anything at all is OK, too.

Interesting idea although I'm not sure that you ought to be taking shots while stopped at a light. Conceptually: interesting. Execution: needs some culling. The over-exposed shots where people's faces are totally blown could go, so could the blurry ones. Just my 2 cents.

I appreciate your 2 cents, Gary. I agree about some culling. However, the one of the couple whose faces are completely blown out is a favorite of mine. There's no accounting for taste, as they say. :)

Is that a donkey in the last? I’ve heard of a zebra crossing, but not a donkey.

Maybe Gary is not used to what might be regarded as a genre that does not need to abide by the rules of schooled photography, where everything should be in focus, beautifully shot, technically ‘correct’. I find these actually give a more real-world vibe, where we are not really concentrating on every aspect of what appears before us. People glide by us all the time, and we don’t stop and study them in detail before moving on to the next person.

This series gives me a good idea of what it is like at that junction, and also what appalling fashions were acceptable at that point in time!

Thanks for posting Brian! I find this series very interesting - in some ways I agree with Gary, that a few of the pics are a little too 'imperfect' for want of a better word, yet I also very much 'get' Rob's angle on it.
Kind of challenges the viewer in a way...
Good Stuff IMO!

Is that a donkey in the last?
😂 It is now!

This series gives me a good idea of what it is like at that junction
This was one of the main reasons I posted these images. Another being the differences in how people appear to carry themselves or how their gait appears in a still image. Also what they're wearing or carrying (donkeys being a good example 😂.) Another point had in mind was that so many RPFrs are based in countries other than the USA and I wanted to give a "feel" for one tiny aspect of life in Southern California, where I was living when I snapped these images.
does not need to abide by the rules of schooled photography
I think you and I are very much alike with regard to this point, Rob. I think you remarked in another post in recent days something to the effect that you are not a "technical" photographer. (Can't remember the exact word you used but that was my takeaway.) And I recall thinking I am exactly the same. Sometimes an image that is out of focus or oddly framed (or both) can have more appeal than a crisp image that satisfies all the conventional rules.

Thanks for your comments Rob. Much appreciated.

Thanks for posting Brian! I find this series very interesting - in some ways I agree with Gary, that a few of the pics are a little too 'imperfect' for want of a better word, yet I also very much 'get' Rob's angle on it.
Kind of challenges the viewer in a way...
Good Stuff IMO!
Thanks Stevenson.

Back