Susan Sleeping

Another one of your brilliant motion blurred portraits. I love it! I'd like to know some details about its making, such as how the transition occurs from the centre of the photo with the subject and the periphery where information is lost.

Thank you, sir! Well, we are going back to 2012. I remember taking about ten or fifteen shots, experimenting with movement, possibly with the first Fuji X100. It looks like a white vignette has been added in post, though I've no recollection of doing it, and then colouring it. I recall being annoyed that I had not removed her laptop from the right of the screen. I still think it would have been a better image without it, but I've come to accept its position there nonetheless. Glad you like it.

Thank you, sir! Well, we are going back to 2012. I remember taking about ten or fifteen shots, experimenting with movement, possibly with the first Fuji X100. It looks like a white vignette has been added in post, though I've no recollection of doing it, and then colouring it. I recall being annoyed that I had not removed her laptop from the right of the screen. I still think it would have been a better image without it, but I've come to accept its position there nonetheless. Glad you like it.

The laptop doesn't bother me, I thought it was a typewriter or something like that, making this the portrait of a famous writer.

OK, Gary, but don't you have anything to say about this image? Believe it or not, I prefer negative criticism to no comment at all. I don't expect everyone to like what I do, far from it. I try to say something about the photos uploaded here, even though I might not like them.

I'd rather see your current work rather than 12 year old images.
This may be an interesting subject for a discussion.

What do you consider 'current', Gary? Yesterday's work? Last week's? Last month's? Last year's or more, say two or three?

To me photography is a journey which probably has no final destination. As with any journey it's always a good idea to look back to see how far you've come, or how little. I regularly review work from years back. Sometimes it surprises me and the odd thing I may consider worth sharing. I see nothing wrong in that.

I feel that despite the fact that I regularly stop in here and sometimes comment that I was put on the spot for a comment that wasn't specifically about a posted image. Sometimes I come here and see what's new and simply mark the forums as read. I don't read every comment.

I wouldn't have said anything about old v. new work being posted if I hadn't have felt being called out for having no comment on the image.

This may be an interesting subject for a discussion.
It may be but I might not have anything useful to offer. My b&w work from 50 years ago is floating around my garage in the form of prints. I don't feel any of that is worth sharing. I feel this is primarily a place where individuals shooting film have others to chat with. Despite having recently acquired some film cameras I still prefer shooting digital because the results are immediate for me. There's no delay in waiting to finish shooting a roll or waiting for film having to be sent off to an out-of-state lab.

I currently have 2 rolls going in 2 film cameras and it's driving me crazy not to be able to see what I've got.

Maybe any discussion re: the age of posted images should be in another thread and not in Rob's thread on Susan Sleeping?

looks like she's having a nightmare. i didn't notice the laptop, or i didn't immediately identify the blurred object on the right. it doesn't bother me or intrude on the image. my favorite part of the image is the fact that her top right face is heavily blurred, but the lower left version, which seems more disconnected from her body, has a much clearer view of her eye and nose.

OK, Gary, but don't you have anything to say about this image? Believe it or not, I prefer negative criticism to no comment at all. I don't expect everyone to like what I do, far from it. I try to say something about the photos uploaded here, even though I might not like them.

In the past archives of realphotographersforum there is a discussion about those who comment little and maybe only leave a like. I sometimes do this, I leave a like and don't comment. This can happen for various reasons: I may be in a hurry; it may be unclear in my mind what feelings a photo gives me and I need to think about it; someone has already expressed an opinion that I find sound and I don't want to repeat what has already been said; I am not able to express my thoughts in the best way so as not to be misunderstood; the language barrier is stronger than me, etc.
I am always happy to receive a like, but of course I like comments more, even when I am not sure if they are entirely sincere.
I think there are different ways to participate and communicate and they should be accepted. Tonight I was at a business dinner, beforehand I expected I would talk a lot, instead I was mostly silent and towards the end completely mute. I participated as much as I could until I ran out of fuel.

OK Rob, it's atmospheric and a fine double exposure (I'm assuming). I suppose I'd rather see your current work rather than 12 year old images.

I like to see the past works of others, and somehow these shed a new light on their present works as well. The time series is richer than today's single shot. Just like in an exhibition.

looks like she's having a nightmare. i didn't notice the laptop, or i didn't immediately identify the blurred object on the right. it doesn't bother me or intrude on the image. my favorite part of the image is the fact that her top right face is heavily blurred, but the lower left version, which seems more disconnected from her body, has a much clearer view of her eye and nose.

Good observation, Beth.

It's OK. I think some people find it easier to talk about gear, and photography certainly gives us enough to talk about in that respect. Talking about artistic value can be awkward for some, yet it's the only thing I'm interested in. I don't really give a damn about cameras and films and software, etc, etc. Yes, it's slightly interesting, but I don't really feel comfortable talking about it. But we are all different. Still, I try to encourage people in what they are doing and trying to achieve, even if I'm not more than 50% interested. Growing up, I remember many times being told NOT to talk about religion, philosophy, politics, art, science, but what the hell else is there? Accounting? So, please excuse me if I get a little frustrated sometimes.

About the fotie: I've never seen this one before, Rob. It strikes me as so true-to-life in the sense that I imagine that as Susan dozed off her head drooped involuntarily, as one's head is liable to do when slumber overtakes. And that's when you took the picture. Your timing was perfect. I don't even see a laptop, by the way. The image has a very 19th Century vibe which I love. It's a wonderful portrait.

About comments: "I prefer negative criticism to no comment at all." Me too. I always apply the "Critique Welcomed" label when I post a picture because I love it when someone says something about the picture. Conversely, I always want to comment on someone else's pictures but, like @Gianluca Drago, sometimes commentary eludes me. I'll often sit and stare at a picture trying to come up with something meaningful to say about it. If nothing pops to mind I'll often abort that mission and just leave a "like." I don't like doing that; it feels like a cop out. (Case in point: Your picture of the window with the knight and bishop. I like that you posted it but I sat for several minutes trying to come up with something meaningful to say. Fail! So I copped out and left a like.) A long time ago I resolved to try to follow the lead of @Pete Askew, who always offers meaningful comments. Pete sets a high bar that I often can't reach.

I hope that no one who reads this feels like I'm judging them if they are inclined to just "like" a photo without critique. I'm not judging anyone but myself.

Thanks, Brian. Susan was actually completely still throughout the shot. I chose a slow shutter speed and quickly moved my position. Despite her not really liking the image (she never likes photos of herself, never ever), I shared it as I think she looks beautiful in it, and the whole image has a tenderness about it which comes from my feelings for her. I see that tenderness as the main part of the image. The technique is a distant second for me.

Yes, it is sometimes hard to come up with a comment, and sometimes I am stumped too. But saying nothing is often better than saying something irrelevant. We are all sensitive, and care about our work enough to share it with hopefully other sensitive people. There’s an element of trust in that. I try to remember that when commenting.

Back