Taken with my Voigtlander Bessa I.

Brian Moore

ex-Redondo Beach Library Building by brian-moore, on Flickr

The Bessa I produces 6x9 images on 120 format film. This image was taken with expired Kodak BW400cn film, which is a black and white film designed to be developed in C41 (color) chemicals. However, I developed this at home in Rodinal using a "stand" development technique.

Last edited:
Can anyone give Brian a comprehensive set of instructions on how to use flickr when posting images
I only have access to my phone today and can't work it out ...

Thanks for the messages. Sorry about the lack of visibility of my photo. I posted the link to my photo per the instructions on the FAQ page here on RPF. My link had the IMG signifyer on either side also. I don't subscribe to Photobucket but maybe I should try that. Anyway,...I would be grateful for any suggestions on how to link to a Flickr-based photo.

Thanks.

Poste-script: Well I can see the image now. Don't know how I did it though.

Last edited:
Hi Brian
above the image there is a drop down called "share"
click that,
click grab the html/bbcode
select bb code
select "Large (1024x... "
copy the code
paste the code into the text box on the forum

I have fixed this one for you

A nice image!
For those who dont know, the bessa i is a mf folding camera ...

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, Hamish. Somehow I managed to get the image to appear. Don't know how. I'm going to try another using the directions you gave me here. Thank you.

brian

Nice image Brian, very smooth tonality too. What were your development conditions with the Rodinal? It's made a good job of the development. It's an interesting camera as well. If I didn't already own a Mamiya 7II I would probably have gone down that route although the extra width makes quite a difference.

Thanks a lot, Pete. I developed the roll at about 72 degrees. I diluted the Rodinal (actually it was R09 One Shot) at 1:100 and used a 60 minute stand. I agitated for 30 seconds at the start and then again for 30 seconds at the halfway mark.

So as a rule, how old can expired film be an still work?

Or is that like saying 'how long is a piece of string?'

The image looks great - with a lot of shadow detail.

Could you get more blacks in the final image at printing if you wanted to?

Thanks a lot, Chris. The film I used wasn't terribly old. I think it expired in '09. I attribute the shadow detail to the stand development. As I understand it, the developer is exhausted quickly on the highlights, but more slowly an the darker areas of the image. Thus, the developer continues to work on the shadow detail and brings it out more than a conventional developing technique might. I think this is why the detail of the tree trunk showed up as it did.

As to your question about more blacks at printing I do not know the answer. I'm quite new to home developing and haven't actually done any printing.

Thanks again.

brian

Hi Chris, although I haven't seen the negative of course, I'm sure you could get more blacks if you wanted although you'd probably have to control the contrast using variable contrast paper so as to retain tonality in the background. Using higher contrast on the tree would certainly render some areas of the bark as near black I would think.

Back