Taos Pueblo NM

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Taos Pueblo (or Pueblo de Taos) is an ancient pueblo belonging to a Taos (Northern Tiwa) speaking Native American tribe of Pueblo people. It is approximately 1000 years old and lies about 1-mile north of the modern city of Taos, New Mexico. It is a World Heritage Site.

web.jpg

The original church (now destroyed) and churchyard - which can only be entered twice a year. Once on the anniversary of someone's death, and once on the yearly 'Día de los Muertos' (Day of the dead).

web.jpg

Canon 5D2 and 28-70 f2.8L + Canon CPL Filter

Love 'em both Chris, but especially numero uno. Excellent as usual! (The cloud on the top left seems to be hanging peculiarly low in the sky, like clouds do at San Francisco Bay or something. An illusion,...or was it really that low?) Anyway, great stuff and b&w is perfect for these desert shots I think.

Brian - well spotted on the cloud - we had rain showers chasing through at a rate of knots between the sunny bits

Pete - yes, hundreds! Will get around to reviewing and PPing a few - just managed to get these two done before bed last night :)

That first shot is a good one for me. I like the old pickup. Seems to bring the pueblo into the 20th century somehow without having it lose it's older flavor. Make sense? Dunno, but I like the shot nonetheless.

I actually like the second one i think... The cloud behind the structure works perfectly as a backdrop to it ...

Whats a pueblo?

I actually like the second one i think... The cloud behind the structure works perfectly as a backdrop to it ...

Whats a pueblo?

Before the 'West' showed up and messed with the locals - they were happily living in these villages, made up of small, interconnected houses or rooms - with sleeping, eating, ceremonial areas etc, as well as food storage facilities.

The first Westerners to find them were the Spanish, and they called these villages 'pueblos' or towns.

In the case of Taos Pueblo - the Native Americans have been living here since about 900 AD, and about 300 out of the 3000 in the tribe still live there.

There is no electricity or running water - they do have propane for heat and light, and get their water from the Red River which runs through the Pueblo.

Back