Telephoto to the Streets

Wes Hall

Feeling like I've just been taken back to my highschool days and walked in late to class in the am...how's everyone been?

I've been exploring two highly regarded 35mm cameras lately, despite thinking I was done with the format.

These were taken on a Topcon RE Super with the RE Auto 200 5.6 and some tmax 100 during a walk around of Leeds. Developed in Pyro 510.

Telephoto and street...street and a slow lens...slow lens and slow film...all seemed counterintuitive, yet the Topcon's weight, functional positioning and overall lens quality helped me shoot hand held with some very slow speeds (1/30 was max, 1/8-1/15 was the normal range) according to the light meter in the camera (which felt to be over exposing and was very hard to trust).

The other camera is a Nikon F2, which I'll look to share. I'd got both by luck for cheap, with minimal cleaning needed to get working well. Planned to sell at least one, but I'm genuinely struggling to part with either as both have started to form a bond with me not felt since I got my Sigma SD15.Test-13.jpgTest-16.jpgTest-22.jpgTest-19.jpg

Welcome back, Wes.

Topcon RE Super and Nikon F2 "for cheap"...? Lucky boy!

Although I'm not a fan of street photography captured via telephoto lenses the closeness you can get from that kind of optical machinery is often undeniably interesting. I like your first photo a lot, in particular the apparent movement portrayed via the blur.

Welcome back, Wes.

Topcon RE Super and Nikon F2 "for cheap"...? Lucky boy!

Although I'm not a fan of street photography captured via telephoto lenses the closeness you can get from that kind of optical machinery is often undeniably interesting. I like your first photo a lot, in particular the apparent movement portrayed via the blur.
Thanks Brian, I've enjoyed seeing some of the Flickr posts you've recently shared (I do love some Foveon).

I'm glad I shared that first shot here, had a suspicion it would spark some intrigue. It was the last image I particularly felt happiest at, and did a cleaner scan and adjustments with, however I'll be resisting that first as both you and Gianluca have heightened my attention to it.

As for the cameras, the Topcon was a good eBay purchase (a mere £45 for the body and finder) and I've since added the lens and adaptall 2 adapter.

The F2 I stumble across in an antiques store in the seaside of Lytham, with the 50mm 1.4... dusty but shutter fired.

£70 was exchanged, a polish and clean, fresh batteries for the meter, and it's brilliant.

I've used up all my luck now 🤣

No problem, Wes. I 'resolved' it. Back you are, and with a bang! What a great haul: both photos and cameras.

That first shot is especially fine and the compression from the telephoto has added to the the second a lot I think. I also the like the almost retro feel of the coffee van and the almost silhouetted customer. And the last has quite a story to tell, but it is not quite clear what it is. Which I like.

I have no experience with a Topcon, but I know the F2 well an have used them a lot, but not for some years.

Hi again, Wes. Welcome back. You can't escape! Resistance is futile...

Well, I don't know what you are talking about with the technical stuff, but some of the images appeal to me on a story-telling level, and I could look at each and dream up possible scenarios. They encourage me to do that, so that is a sign of good photography in my book. Good to have you back!

Many thanks Rob, good to be back at Photographers Prior 😁.

Thanks Pete, appreciate the reassurance and views, as with you Rob, the spark to the imagination keeps me reflecting on why I do take photos, life's continuing story seen through my wanders, of which there has been plenty since I've last been active here.

Nice images Wes.
For the benefit of others, I bumped into Wes yesterday while I was out for a bit of street photography. Funnily enough, in a somewhat strange coincidence, I had in my hand, a camera with a 200mm lens.
@Brian Moore - it's not the length that's important, it's how you use it!

Back