TF-4/TF-5 fixer in the UK?

David Mitchell

Hi there,

I am just looking into film development for my B&W films, I plan to run a very minamalist setup and will probably use the stand development method. After watching a video on 'theartofphotography' he has mentioned a fixer called TF-4, you can get a TF-5. It basically removed the need for stop bath and also cleans the film up as well so you don't need to add anything else. This cuts down the process to:

Add film
Developer on film
Drain developer
Rinse with water
Add TF-4 or TF-5
Remove film
DONE

So there is no need for a stop bath inbetween the steps, also I will look at doing the stand method which uses a very weak dilution of the developer over a long time, something like 1 to 100 dilution and a development time of about 50 minutes with minimal agitation.

Anyway I just wondered if anyone used some of it, you can get it from the states but I havn't seen it in the UK.

Here is the fixer:

Photographers' Formulary Inc.

Here is the video I saw:

Episode 95 :: the Minimalist Darkroom pt 1 - YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

Ah ha! found some:

TF-5

http://www.langtoninfo.co.uk/showitem.aspx?isbn=0675152302007&loc=GBP

That is £38.50 a bottle, vs about $10 in the states, so my quest contines!

Just use ilford rapid fixer, stop is cheap as chips anyway!

Thats true, I guess I can keep the middle step, its just cool that the TF-4 and TF-5 basically have stopbath, fixer and hypo in it so it makes it simple lol but I guess adding an extra step is ok if it brings the cost down.

I will hopefully get something sorted soon, won't need to buy too much and with the stand method its really economical on the developer :)

Back