Images Processed In Caffenol; Recipe Too

Brian Moore

I'm posting this for anyone who is interested in processing at home with coffee, in particular @Tom Dunne and @Dave Green who have expressed an interest in the past couple of days.

The images below were both shot with my Mamiya C33 TLR.

Recipe I used for Caffenol C-M
Water: I think it was one liter that I used to mix the ingredients in (I failed to record that detail in my notes.)
Washing Soda: 10.8 teaspoons (I actually used "PH Up" from the swimming pool supply shop.)
Vitamin C: 3.2 teaspoons
Instant Coffee: 8 teaspoons
Stop bath: water rinse
Fixer

I pre-soaked the film for about 5 minutes.
Processing Time: 15 minutes
I agitated for 30 seconds to start, then 10 seconds each minute thereafter
Water Temperature: About 70 degrees f. (My notes tell me the TMAX was at 71 and the FP4 at 69.)

Note: My teaspoons are not actually so precise as to be graduated in tenths; I converted the recipe from metric to Amurican! and just estimated a little more or a little less as necessary.

Kodak TMAX in Caffenol C-M: Seal Beach Pier

Ilford FP4 in Caffenol C-M: Huntington Central Park at Night

thanks bryan. this sounds simple enough. the second is pretty sweet and slightly creepy at the same time.
is this for b&w film only? any special instructions for disposing of the waste or can it go down the drain?

thanks bryan. this sounds simple enough. the second is pretty sweet and slightly creepy at the same time.
is this for b&w film only? any special instructions for disposing of the waste or can it go down the drain?
Thanks, Beth. Yes, for B&W only. And as for disposal, my local camera shop dumps stuff for me. But at the amount of waste the typical home processor produces I wonder if there is any impact at all.

Thanks so much Brian; this is so helpful. I'm now interested in the fixer because I presume this is not environmentally friendly?
Have you ever experimented by processing a colour film in the B/W fashion using cafenol as I have a lot of cheap colour film for my Holgas.
I have managed to get a tank now (scrounged from a friend) so I'm hopefully on my way. Will start with crap film.
If I can get results half as good as the two you posted I will be very happy. Love how the little lake has been rendered in the second one.
i have been sending my films away for processing to a guy who did each roll of b/W for £1.50 each but as the cost of postage is now at rip off levels here the benefits are being totally reduced and I could do with a little project in my retirement:).

You're welcome, Tom. And thank you for the comments about the pictures. By the way, your question about color films makes me think perhaps I misunderstoood @Beth Anthony's similar question. The answer to your question Tom is no, I haven't processed any color films in Caffenol. The answer to Beth's question is (assuming I misunderstood it initially) is that I don't see why you cannot process color film in Caffenol. You'll just end up with black and white film. Well anyway, before finishing this response I did a quick look up on Google for color film in Caffenol. First thing to pop up was a Flickr discussion. See below.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/33051635@N00/discuss/72157624849587759/

Get in!!!
Nice one Brian.... Wasn't going to be long before I'd ask you about this too:)

Stepping in late, but I've read a lot of websites on caffenol last days. Never developed films myself, but I ordered several things for it now... And I will try this!

Back