The Art of Visual Art

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
Nae pics, just text, I'm afraid...

I've started to get more interested in art - paintings, drawings, and the like - especially Dutch art of the 15th to 17th centuries - and plan to study a short Oxford University online course on 'Northern Renaissance Art, 1480-1580'. Although I've always been aware of art, visited galleries, etc, it is only very recently that I've started to really think about what these artists were trying to achieve, and how they set about doing it.

It's probably no coincidence that at the same time, I've become dissatisfied with my photography - although I do occasionally produce an 'interesting' image, I'm feeling the need to think more about context and meaning, and it has become clear to me that I know very little about the visual arts - something I need to rectify.

I'm wondering how many contributors here have an art background? I can think of Kev and Julian for starters. I'm wondering if they think that has helped them with composition, colour, etc, but also going beyond that into concepts, aesthetics, etc?

You would think I did with the way my photos usually turn out, but alas no

I was wondering if you had, Davie. Just natural talent there, I think.

I think it's only a visualisation of what you want the world to look like coupled with what you absorb throughout your life and I imagine doing an art course and looking at art more closely will certainly help that :D

That sounds an interesting course Rob and covers one of my favourites: Breugel.

Paul definitely has a background in fine art. Art was one of my strongest subjects in school and my original objective was to pursue a career in either interior or graphic design. But, I became interested in natural history and entomology in particular (partly, do doubt, through the aesthetic of the big insect collections) and started a path to study applied entomology. I hated university (and being a student) and left to start in architecture but, while waiting for a position as an apprentice in an architects studio, I took a job in the laboratory of a small food company and thus ended up doing microbiology - 20 years with ICI and for the last 17 I have run my own laboratory and consultancy firm. However, throughout all of this I continued to draw and, occasionally, paint and took up photography (and technical imaging as part of my work). As the years went by photography became more of an artistic outlet than merely a recording medium. I tend to study certain areas of art as they become interesting to me (after visiting galleries and shows - I liked the recent documentaries on the Pre-Rapaelite Brotherhood for example and this has reignited my interest in their work) but I lack, in general, any real knowledge of the way art has developed and the way influences have spread. But it does interest me and I'll be keen to see how you find the course and how it informs / influences your work.

Last edited:
I don't--a fact that may seem obvious.:eek: But my brother is an artist. Makes his living off graphic and fine arts (and the occasional movie appearance). I only mention this because we are the only two in our extended family that I know of--with the exception of our collective children--who have any interest in art at all.

It makes me wonder...

Thanks, Brian.

It's funny - two years ago I would have argued I had no visual awareness at all, in an artistic sense. But it is growing fast, and I'm finding it quite fulfilling at times. I've spent a lot of time experimenting, mostly coming up with rubbish, and the occasional interesting image. But the more I learn, the more I feel the urge to 'do something with it', but find I'm at a bit of a loss what to do. I imagine that having a greater awareness of how others have used visual culture in the past - not just photography - will give me some pointers as to what is possible, how I might proceed.

I'd like to hear from more of us, if you have the time - even if you have no art training at all.

I think that we should make a distinction between studying art history and studying art. I think studying either could be valuable and worthwhile. Either will give you plenty of ideas for your photography, although probably not the same ones, so definitely worth taking a course if you can. IMHO I would say that if you want to look into having greater meaning in your photographs a practical fine art course that also covers more modern forms of fine art would be more interesting. This is just a suggestion really based on my own preferences. Or even a course on semiotics or something that also covers the history of photography. If you are interested I can email you some books on photography that could be useful. Some are a little heavy going though.

I think looking at good pictures is good learning. Whether the pictures be photos or paintings makes little difference. Both genres are about composition and light. Certainly there are technical components that differ markedly, one genre to the other. And in that sense the two disciplines are very different. But at the aesthetic level, its composition and light.

I used to be a bad photographer. Today I believe I am less bad. (Although I still take my share of bad images.) The er, "improvement", is down to observation of the work of others, practice on my own, and a continually evolving self-critic. Some idea of what is good helps the self-critic more accurately appraise.

I think it is right and proper for a photographer to study the work of the great painters as well as other photographers.

Rob,...Your photography often suggests its the work of someone with a painterly background. Good for you for wanting to bring it out more.

I have only just started to dabble with a paint brush over last 6 months. Before hat hadnt really any arty tendancies :eek:

Thanks, Paul - Life is too short for me to start another discipline, I think, but I appreciate what you are saying. I certainly will spend some time studying art history and aesthetics. As for getting paints and canvas - I can't see me doing that. But please do pm me books of interest.

Thanks, Brian - composition and light - yup, that about sums it up. And absinthe. Musn't forget the absinthe.

And lenses:

Breugel Self Portrait:

BruegelPortrait.jpg

Good luck with the course Rob! Seeing as you asked, I did Art to A level. It was my best subject, but I pulled out half way through because I was too busy with my dancing and I didn't want to go to University. Then I broke my leg falling off my horse, the hospital operated and I got gangrene. Seven years later I was finally able to go back to work, but my dancing days were over and I decided one day that I wanted to be good at photography instead. I tried too hard in the early days and made myself frustrated and unhappy. Now I just please myself and it suits my otherwise manic lifestyle. I do appreciate the thought that goes into some of the work in here, but I'm afraid I don't think at all... :D

Back