A Return to the Garden of Eden

One of the first images processed from today's photo expedition to the old textile works in Forst (Lausitz) in Germany. Myself and @Detlef Kuhl spent 6 hours in this and another old factory as part of a 'tour' (we were left to our own devices) arranged by go2know.de (and an Xmas gift from Detlef to me: thank you Detlef!).

Both factories have been bought by young people from Forst to save the buildings and to hopefully repurpose them as art spaces, homes for the elderly, etc although there is some way to go yet!

An interesting and enjoyable day all round (if not somewhat exhausting: 6 hours!).

So one shot down and about 500 to go. Don't hold your breath!

Garden of Eden-2.jpg

Leica M10 + 35mm Leica Summilux f1/1.4. ISO 200, 1/45s at f/8. PP in LR and Nik ColorEFEX 5.

Y'know, I thought this image was something built as a set, maybe with a little CGI thrown in. But it sounds like it's real. ;) It's an amazing contrast between the drab decaying furnishing, and the lively looking new trees/shrubs/seedlings.

👍👍

I'm not sure it was deliberate. The roof of that wing of the factory has collapsed and so the rain gets in and the seedlings seem to have taken root in some plies of old textile. You can only get a couple of metres into the room as the area is taped of as being hazardous beyond that.

Here is the view straight on: I liked the sort of romantic feels of those drapes in the first though.

Garden of Eden-1.jpg

It’s a great subject - Nature reclaiming the Earth - and one which has featured in your posts often, Pete. Would make a great exhibition. Keep it up!

Really interesting series Pete. I wonder if there's become too much prevalence of 'post apocalyptic' imagery as a dark fantasy this last decade, but I was struck with the concept of feeling the 'dead mall' syndrome here in the UK- realising that this is actually an accurate representation of our age. Looking forward to more

It’s a great subject - Nature reclaiming the Earth - and one which has featured in your posts often, Pete. Would make a great exhibition. Keep it up!

Thanks, Rob. It is a theme that fascinates me and I think it might have something to do with reading some of the novels by JG Ballard when much younger. His vision / description of the manmade world immersed or reclaimed by nature were just so evocative. "Hothouse" by Brian Aldous was also a great influence (and may prove the more accurate it seems!).

Really interesting series Pete. I wonder if there's become too much prevalence of 'post apocalyptic' imagery as a dark fantasy this last decade, but I was struck with the concept of feeling the 'dead mall' syndrome here in the UK- realising that this is actually an accurate representation of our age. Looking forward to more

Thanks, Wes. After I'd posed the first couple I realised they might work better as a series and In plant to do that soon. I do find the whole theme interesting.

Back