The Citadel Revealed

An abandoned apartment block in Halle Neustadt. It is not all this grim and many buildings have been renovated, but the glory days of this new city of the DDR are long gone and a stark contrast with the old city across the river.

Halle Neustadt-1.jpg

Leica M10 + 35 mm Leica Summilux f1:1.4. ISO 200, 1/1000s at f1:8.0. PP in LR / PS / Nik ColorFX Pro 4.

Well captured, lots of interesting lines and angles. That bit does look grim. Looks sad too, to think that was once people's homes and shop, now fallen into decay.

It has an oppressive vibe, and the "beauty" of the models furthers a feeling of alienation, remembrance of times lost. Excellent framing, of course. They eye wants to dwell on it for a while...

An abandoned apartment block in Halle Neustadt. It is not all this grim and many buildings have been renovated, but the glory days of this new city of the DDR are long gone and a stark contrast with the old city across the river.

View attachment 15198

Leica M10 + 35 mm Leica Summilux f1:1.4. ISO 200, 1/1000s at f1:8.0. PP in LR / PS / Nik ColorFX Pro 4.

I wonder when that was built? It's sort of Eastern Block version of LeCorbusier Unite? Is is all reinforced concrete? It looks like it has brick also. Really nice photo!!!

I look at this and it reminds me of a show we watch from the UK called "Time Team". As they uncover the layers of earth, you find many generations before, having been built over by the next. It is good to have a documented photo before that goes to compete ruin as well. I had a similar experience a couple years ago when I shot a photo of a decaying shack of a house all alone on a small island in a local river. A hurricane came through a couple months afterward and flattened it. 2 weeks ago I saw an article in the paper about that house. Two sisiters were reminiscing of their childhood days living there. Touched my heart. they aree both in their 80's now.

It's been a while since I have seen one of your foties Pete. Happy to see the Old Askew color palate is still your preference. :)

Fine image. I like this kind of thing. Do show more if you have any.

Back